If you aspire to become the classic designer/maker and you're eager to break new ground in the world of fashion, our BA Honours Fashion Design degree will equip you with technical skill, support your creativity and encourage you to develop your identity as a designer.
Why study BA Fashion Design at Middlesex University?
On this degree you will not only learn the knowledge and practical skills essential for a successful career in fashion design, as so many of our alumni illustrate, but also develop self-confidence, a willingness to challenge yourself, the ability to work with others, and the skills to discover and define your own design identity.
Fashion at Middlesex is highly regarded and this course puts the emphasis firmly on creativity and the ability to develop your own designs in order to lay the foundation for innovative design. The programme provides a wide range of skills relevant to the industry and you will a vast array of topics such as fashion illustration, portfolio presentation, technical drawings, garment construction and pattern cutting, corsetry, and tailoring.
You will focus on individuality and be encouraged to question everything. We pride ourselves on the diversity of our cohort and staff, providing a multifaceted environment in which to research, challenge, design and create. Our programme allows you to experience both menswear and womenswear design, giving you an opportunity to explore, develop and focus on your strengths.
- You will be taught by an invested and supportive team of tutors and technicians who all work in the industry, including pattern cutters and designers
- During the second year you will benefit from a six-week work placement in preparation for London Fashion Week – our students have worked with designers such as Charles Jeffrey, Sibling, Erdem, Molly Goddard, Peter Pillotto, Giles Deacon and Burberry.
- At the end of your degree you will exhibit your work at a fashion show in the End of Year Degree Show, a professional standard showcase giving you the opportunity to expose your talent to creative industry employers
- The studio workshops in our state-of-the-art £80 million facility, The Grove, mean almost everything can be done in-house and you have access to a wide range of specialist facilities to help realise your ideas through art forms
- Your will learn from an array of fashion experts, speakers, subject specialists and live projects sponsored by industry, and have the opportunity to be selected for an external press show
- Our extensive learning resources support your research with books, collections of film, journals and magazines, and a collection of 3D pieces including historical dress and accessories
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
How can the BA Fashion Design support your career?
Middlesex has strong links with art and design employers. Our industry partners sponsor final year students and give visiting lectures. Your work will be viewed by a large number of industry employers when they attend our final year degree show. Some students may also be specially selected for our annual press show, judged by high profile figures in the fashion industry. Previous judges include Louise Gray, JJS Lee and James Long.
Grades / Points
Plus GCSE C in English
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Middlesex University has a personalised approach to learning and teaching, supporting students to develop skills for their future and get ready for success in a changing world. Students develop advanced skills through making, doing and experience at its single-site campus in north London, which offers industry-standard facilities and excellent connections with employers. The university has a reputation for diversity, and includes everyone equally in its community.