The BA in Journalism will emphasise four key areas: the development of your professional journalism skills across all platforms; the study of the concepts and controversies back grounding and surrounding 21st century journalism; work placements in professional journalism during your studies and entrepreneurial Journalism. Journalism in the 21st century needs journalists who are comfortable operating across all platforms. This course will allow you to develop skills in broadcasting and digital/multi-media platforms as well as traditional print journalism so you can work in any and all media.
You will also receive a thorough grounding on key journalistic skills in core areas such as news-gathering and interviewing. You will be strongly encouraged to do industry placements with professional organisations, either as part of their degree or alongside it. Alongside developing skills, you will also investigate the context and controversies which make journalism so interesting, relevant and crucial to society and democracy. In this way this course is a strong blend of practical, academic and professional education, designed to produce students who can produce industry standard journalism, reflect on their practice and that of others and carry out useful and informative industrial placements. In short the central aim of the course is to help students learn to think like journalists.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Leaving Certificate - Ordinary Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Extended Project
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Access to HE Diploma
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Grades / Points
About this University
The University of Leicester is a leading university committed to international excellence, world-changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. A research-intensive university, academic staff are breaking new ground and setting new directions aimed at making the UK and the world a better place. Consistently ranked among the world's top 250 universities (QS World University Rankings), Leicester's staff and students are drawn from around the globe.