Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Curzon Building Campus
The BSc (Honours) Accounting and Finance degree at Birmingham City Business School provides a valuable insight into the worlds of accountancy practice, commerce, industry and finance.
We create graduates who possess a global outlook, with the conceptual and applied knowledge in the fields of accounting and finance that will enable them to make a positive impact on society.
Delivery of the course is flexible and includes a blend of lectures, workshops, field trips and online learning. The modules, which feed into the course are broad and cover key current topics, such as Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and help you to appreciate accounting and finance from a range of perspectives. Ultimately, decision making in this field, calls for one to exercise judgement and intuition and this course helps you to strengthen that judgement.
This course has been designed to be accredited by the major professional accounting bodies, including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), offering significant exemptions from their professional qualifications.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS COURSE?
This course offers an accounting and finance curriculum that is up to date, vocationally relevant, challenging and reflects the complex and challenging nature of the accounting and business environment.
You will gain expertise in areas including financial and management accounting, corporate finance, international accounting and finance issues, data analysis and business technology. You will have the opportunity to use software relevant to the modern business environment, equipping you with the skills and experience sought by employers.
You will develop scholarly attributes, becoming an independent learner with the ability to critically evaluate data and evidence, draw reasoned conclusions and communicate effectively in a professional manner.
With our practice-based approach to teaching, you will learn from professionally qualified academics with a wealth of industry experience, and research active academics whose research underpins and informs our approach to teaching.
You will be actively supported and encouraged to undertake an additional professional placement year, providing the opportunity to improve your employability skills. Our students have worked for industry leading accountancy practices including PwC and EY, as well as for organisations such as the NHS, IBM and Vodafone.
The international focus of the course is derived through a variety of means including the study of international accounting standards, student body, the teaching team and the use of international teaching materials. Moreover, students can choose to spend a full semester studying their modules overseas at a partner institution.
This course shares a common first year with other accounting courses within the Business School with full transferability between courses at the end of the first year.
In order to apply and enhance the skills you learn from the course, you will have the option to undertake a year-long work placement in the UK or overseas. Shorter-term work placements, voluntary work and internships will also be available.
In the past, students have benefited from our partnerships with the NHS, Volkswagen and Bentley.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 13,200per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Extended Project
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- HNC (BTEC)
- HND (BTEC)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Leaving Certificate - Ordinary Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Foundation Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC 90-Credit Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Certificate (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
A level : BBC
A maximum of three subjects are considered. A levels and other level 3 qualificationsVIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
Birmingham City University, University House, 15 Bartholomew Row, Birmingham, Birmingham, B5 5JU, England
88th out of 104 10
Entry standards/ Max 220110 50%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10044.0 44%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.93 79%