Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Accountants and finance professionals are at the heart of almost every organisation. They use their expertise to help organisations make good business decisions and create value for stakeholders.
On this BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance degree, you'll develop analytical techniques, economic expertise and strategic insight and learn how to apply your accounting knowledge and skills in the financial and business sectors.
The course is accredited by 4 global accountancy bodies, which means you can gain exemptions from professional examinations. This can save you time and money if you want to become a chartered accountant.
Year 1 gives you a grounding in accounting and an introduction to business finance, economics, and the mathematical and statistical tools you'll use in your financial career.
You'll build on your accountancy knowledge and practice in year 2, and choose optional modules in subjects such as taxation and personal finance that allow you to shape your degree to your ambitions.
Your final year focuses on advanced topics and more optional modules giving you the opportunity to complete a dissertation and study project on an area that interests you.
Between years 2 and 3, you'll have the chance to study abroad at a partner university or enhance your career prospects and apply your skills in the workplace on a year-long sandwich placement.
Accounting and finance are at the heart of business. When you graduate, you could pursue a career as a chartered accountant (with further study) or apply your skills and knowledge to work in any area of business.
Accredited and recognised by
This course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, and recognised by Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) Australia.
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and Institute of Chartered Accountants accreditation exempts graduates from specific professional examinations.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn from professionally qualified expert staff, whose practical experience and research interests ensure your learning is up-to-date with industry developments and regulations
- Use the same accounting and financial software as professionals, including Sage and SAP business resource planning software
- Get access to mentoring from 2nd and 3rd year students, who can help you settle into study and university life in year 1
- Apply your skills in simulated business management exercises
- Learn to make fast-paced investment decisions using our Bloomberg Suite, the trading platform used by professionals
- Get the Bloomberg Certificate as part of your studies, demonstrating to future employers that you know your way around the Bloomberg Suite
- Develop skills you can use in all areas of your life and career, including analytical, decision making, research and personal finance skills.
Careers and opportunities
Whether you plan on becoming a chartered accountant, want to pursue a career in finance or want to use your analytical skills to forge a career in another business discipline, this finance and accounting degree will help you get there.
Accountants are in demand in all sectors, including the public sector and charities. Many companies employ in-house accountants but accountancy services also play a vital role – research by the Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies (CCAB) shows companies spent around £17.7 billion on accountancy services in the UK in 2017.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- T Level
A level : BBB - ABB
120-128 points from 3 A levels or equivalent.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
45th out of 105 8
Entry standards/ Max 220101 46%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10070 70%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.19 84%