MSc - Master of Science
The Advanced Chemical Engineering with Bioprocessing programme explores advanced chemical engineering topics with an emphasis on bioprocessing – using biological systems to produce useful products.
Chemical engineering is dynamic and evolving, and today extends far beyond its roots in oil and gas processing. It provides many solutions to problems facing the biotechnological, pharmaceutical, healthcare, energy and food and drink sectors.
Biological processes are increasingly important in modern chemical engineering, from production of biopharmaceuticals such as insulin, the industrial switch from chemical engineering.
This Advanced Chemical Engineering with Bioprocessing programme focuses on exploring the key aspects of bioprocessing and chemical engineering that we can use to answer these three questions. Core modules will give you an advanced understanding of bioprocessing and chemical engineering principles. Optional modules will allow you to develop expertise in specialist areas.
The research project (MSc only) will allow you to undertake independent research with world-leading research teams within the school. Our graduates are well prepared for a career in a variety of industries and have an opportunity to capitalise on the growing global demand for biochemical engineers and chemical engineers in many sectors.
Why study Advanced Chemical Engineering with Bioprocessing Masters at Birmingham?
- In this course we will explore the major benefits of bioprocessing within the broader context of chemical engineering. You will study the production and purification of biopharmaceuticals as well as other bioproduction processes. You will also develop understanding of formulated products and how they can be characterised. The course will equip you to join the bioprocessing and chemical engineering industries in multiple sectors.
- The optional modules will allow further specialisation in areas of your interest including pharmaceuticals, healthcare technologies, engineering business, food and energy.
- Teaching is led by our world-leading research in chemical engineering, and during the research project students work within research groups on an original research project.
- Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. With over 35,000 students and 7,000 staff, today we are one of the world’s leading universities. Characterised by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact on people’s lives – a tradition that this programme proudly continues.
- Explore important aspects of modern bioprocessing and chemical engineering, addressing the design and development of key formulated products, energy systems, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare technologies.
- Specialise in areas that interest you, from the development of pharmaceuticals and healthcare technologies, the formulation of structured food products, to efficient energy systems, and the business surrounding chemical and process engineering.
- Benefit from our collaborations with world-class industry partners, and international, leading-edge engineering and science departments.
Students will also achieve PgDip in this course.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 23,310per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England
21st out of 103 8
6th out of 31 1
Entry standards/ Max 240156 68%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10081 81%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.93 79%
Entry standards/ Max 245186 79%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10088 88%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.87 77%