MSc - Master of Science
This Advanced Chemical Engineering with Energy Masters programme focuses on advanced chemical engineering topics that inform the modern process engineering industry. Our three major research areas – energy, formulation engineering, and healthcare technology – guide the programme, with a focus on energy.
Chemical engineering is dynamic and evolving, and today extends far beyond its roots in oil and gas processing. It provides solutions to problems facing many sectors, such as energy supply and storage, food, fast-moving consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare.
The school of Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham focuses on research in three areas, answering three major questions of global importance:
Energy – How can we reshape energy supply and storage in a sustainable way?
Formulation Engineering – How can we develop and produce formulated products such as food or pharmaceuticals with novel properties in a sustainable manner?
Healthcare Technology – How can we maintain a healthy aging population?
This programme focuses on exploring the key aspects of chemical engineering that we can use to answer these three questions, with a focus on the production, distribution, storage and use of energy.
Core modules will give you an advanced understanding of advanced chemical engineering principles and concepts relevant to multiple application areas. The wide range of optional modules will allow you to develop expertise in specialist areas, with a focus on energy.
The research project (MSc only) will allow you to undertake independent research with world-leading research teams within the school. Our graduates are well prepared for a career in a variety of industries and have an opportunity to capitalise on the growing global demand for chemical engineers in many sectors, including energy.
Why study Advanced Chemical Engineering with Energy Masters at Birmingham?
- In this course we consider the important aspects of chemical engineering in the 21st century that address the issues of the design and development of key formulated products and systems that will allow clean supply and use of energy, increase process efficiency, and enable healthy lifestyles. Such products include fuel cells, formulated foods, medical devices and pharmaceuticals
- Our themed optional modules enable you to specialise in areas of chemical and process engineering that interest you; from clean energy including hydrogen fuel cells and thermal energy storage, the production and formulation of pharmaceuticals, formulation of structured food products, generation of bioproducts, and the business surrounding chemical and process engineering.
- Teaching is led by our world-leading research in chemical engineering, and during the research project students work within research groups on an original research project.
- Explore important aspects of modern chemical engineering, addressing the design and development of energy systems, key formulated products, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare technologies.
- Specialise in areas that interest you, from efficient energy systems, to the formulation of structured food products and the development of healthcare technologies, to the business surrounding chemical and process engineering.
- Benefit from our collaborations with world-class industry partners, and international, leading-edge engineering and science departments.
Students will also achieve PgDip in this course.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 23,310per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England
6th out of 31 1
21st out of 72 3
Entry standards/ Max 245186 79%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10088 88%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.87 77%
Entry standards/ Max 241157 71%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10090 90%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.85 77%