Foundation Degree in Science - FdSc
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
Agriculture is a vocation and way of life. Whether you are interested in animals or crops, upland or lowland, intensive or extensive farming systems, the breadth and depth of teaching in the highly popular Agriculture Foundation Degree at Aberystwyth University, will cater for your needs.
The two-year course is taught within the highly prestigious Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences in an area renowned for its agricultural innovation, productivity, diversity and beauty.
Here is why we think that Aberystwyth is a great place for you:
- State-of-the-art teaching that provides you with the practical skills and scientific knowledge base to underpin your future career;
- Visits to farms and businesses that lead the industry in innovation and technical know-how;
- Work experience as a component of the course;
- Progression route to honours degree level;
- Study through the medium of Welsh or English.
Why study Agriculture at Aberystwyth University?
- Taught by enthusiastic teaching experts, who you may have already seen on TV documentaries or your favourite radio show.
- Over 1000ha of farmland, including lowland and upland sheep farms, a 500 cow dairy herd, intensive and extensive beef production systems.
- Out of all of the Oats grown in the UK, 65% come from varieties bred and developed at IBERS Aberystwyth. There is additionally a major Miscanthus biofuel breeding programme.
- Our Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) in conjunction with Bangor University had the 5th strongest submission in the UK for the Research Excellence Framework assessment (2014).
Can I progress onto the BSc degree programme?
- Students who successfully complete the Foundation Degree are automatically offered entry into the 2nd year of a suitable degree programme.
Students who demonstrate consistently good performance will be offered entry into the final year of a suitable degree programme.
Want to study in Welsh?
- Some of our modules are taught in Welsh as well as English. If you study through the medium of Welsh you may be eligible for a generous bursary.
What opportunities exist after studying?
Our graduates have progressed and occupy the following occupations:
- Farm Managers
- Agricultural business consultants
- Agricultural policy experts
- Animal nutritionists
- Technical agricultural enterprise managers.
Following a successful Foundation degree you will be encouraged to progress onto one of our honours level degree courses, and you will advised of your options as the course progresses.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,800per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level : DDD - CCCVIEW MORE
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
6th out of 20 1
Entry standards/ Max 155135 90%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10064 64%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.25 85%