MA - Master of Arts
Putteridge Bury campus
About the course
This part-time course prepares you for the challenges of management in organisations where policy and structure are subject to constant change.
You will cover key issues in social work leadership and management – honing your ability to critically examine daily management practice.
Duration: The course is normally completed within five years.
Intermediate qualifications available:
- Postgraduate certificate – 60 credits at Masters level
- Postgraduate diploma – 120 credits at Masters level
Why choose this course?
- Study and apply current models of supervision and understanding of leadership and management in your own practice to ensure best quality outcomes for service users
- Explore your full potential as a leader and manager in social work through enhancing your knowledge, skills, sense of enterprise and self-awareness enabling you to evaluate and plan for your own future career direction and learning needs
- Develop your expertise in critical reflection, bringing analytical and research-led perspectives into your leadership and management practice – able to influence change through creative thinking and collaborative communication
- Gain the skills, confidence and mental agility to take effective decisions, even in the absence of complete data, and motivate others in ever-changing environments with competing demands
- Benefit from the ability to clearly communicate your ideas and conclusions to a range of stakeholder audiences.
The course will provide budding social work managers with a deep and systematic understanding of current knowledge about effective practice in leadership, management and supervision in the context of current social work practice and how this can enhance best outcomes for service users.
It will increase your expertise in critical reflection bringing analytical and research-led perspectives to your practice as leaders and managers to influence change where necessary by using creative thinking.
The course will encourage you to reach your full potential as a leader and manager in social work by enhancing your knowledge, skills, sense of enterprise and self-awareness so that you can evaluate and plan for your own future direction and learning needs. It will equip you with the skills, confidence and mental agility to lead and make decisions for best outcomes in provision for service users working collaboratively in complex, ever changing environments and with competing demands.
We have a proven track record for delivering innovative social work programmes and world leading, pioneering research. There is a strong commitment to ensuring that teaching is informed by up to date knowledge that is evidence based.
Whether you undertake the full masters programme or opt for individual units you will benefit from the expertise of a team of experienced social work academics committed to holistic practice that is firmly embedded in research, in partnership with practitioners and service users.
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course students will encounter a wide range of assessments designed to collectively meet a variety of individual learning styles and to support them in their progress towards becoming an autonomous learner. These methods are designed to test students in all the areas necessary for competent practice as an experienced Social Work practitioner, as well as in the academic disciplines underpinning this practice.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Bedfordshire, Park Square, Luton, Luton, LU1 3JU, England
104th out of 123 4
27th out of 83 3
Entry standards/ Max 20993 43%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10059 59%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.91 78%
Entry standards/ Max 177119 68%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10088 88%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.07 81%
Masters by Research/PhD Management Studies
University of Hertfordshire
University league table
Business and Management (Marketing) MA
Bath Spa University
Business & Management Studies league table94