Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Parkside Building Campus
Sandwich / Placement
Our BA (Hons) Art and Design course is a highly flexible interdisciplinary degree that encourages you to identify your own individual practices, apply them to a range of real world contexts and facilitate creative responses to a range of issues.
After an initial diagnostic period, critical approaches and design methodologies will help your personal development through, external facing ‘live’ projects, collaborative working with both university and other professional organisations, diverse workshop facilities, and a team of academic and technical staff.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THE COURSE?
This degree covers interdisciplinary approaches to practice in contemporary art, design and craft.
You will work on studio, live and collaborative projects to develop your own independent practice, whether your interest lies in photography, installation, print, digital media, sculpture, illustration, curatorial practice, textiles, drawing, sound, graphic design, public art or three-dimensional design. Working closely with academic and technical staff, you will develop new skills and approaches to projects which help you gain confidence, helping you to uncover your own strengths and interests.
At all levels, contemporary and historical contexts modules are clearly aligned with core practical modules to develop the integration of theory and practice and develop the way critical studies are embedded within the degree.
Your personal development is enhanced by regular talks and workshops from visiting experts from a range of backgrounds – such as artists, designers, curators, craftspeople, entrepreneurs, educators and project managers alongside representatives from regional and national support agencies for the creative industries. You’ll also receive the support of expert academics, like Stuart Whipps, who has recently exhibited his work in the British Art Show.
You will also be required to engage in an experiential placement in the second year of the programme to develop an understanding your potential role within the relevant professional sector. This provides an opportunity for you to develop a post-graduation roadmap including a visualisation of their ideal future, analysis of their personal capital, barriers and values and a development timeline to identify future aims and objectives.
Students have previously enjoyed experiences, like responding to the architecture of Dudley Zoological Gardens’ World Heritage Site and in particular the Zoo’s 1930s-listed animal enclosures.
Our graduates have recently showcased their work at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, MK Gallery, and also presented a collection of design ideas to Associated Architects, earning a £5,000 prize to further present their work in the West Midlands.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 13,200per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Extended Project
- HNC (BTEC)
- HND (BTEC)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC 90-Credit Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Certificate (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
A level : BBC
A maximum of 4 subjects are considered. These can be other A/S Levels (as long in a different subject) A-Levels or Level 3 equivalents.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
Birmingham City University, University House, 15 Bartholomew Row, Birmingham, Birmingham, B5 5JU, England
45th out of 85 7
Entry standards/ Max 239125 57%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10060.0 60%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.92 78%