MSc - Master of Science
Banking and Finance MSc: Comprehensive training in finance with special focus on commercial and investment banking, especially regulation and risk management for banking; Wide range of elective modules.
This programme is based in the School of Economics and Finance (SEF) on Queen Mary’s Mile End campus.
Close to London’s financial districts (City of London and Canary Wharf)
Virtual trading room with Reuters and Bloomberg trading terminals, Interactive Brokers Trader Workstation (TWS) and FXCM FX Trading Station
- Taught by research-active academics as well as visiting city professionals
- Teaching of each module typically consists of a two-hour lecture and one-hour seminar (for solving homework) each week
- Lectures and seminars may be scheduled during the day or in the evening for both Part-time, two-year pathway available time and part-time pathways
- Teaching by research-active academics as well as visiting city professionals
- Wide range of elective modules
- Wide range of optional short modules on programming languages, trading platforms such as Bloomberg.
Optional pre-semester modules in maths and statistics
Six compulsory taught modules
Three elective modules
Dissertation (7,000 words)
Five elective modules
Research Project (2,500 words)
Graduates have gone on to a wide range of careers in the financial sector, especially in risk management and regulation in commercial banks, investment banks and supervisory financial institutions (eg central banks).
Students have moved into careers such as:
- Business development managers
- Marketing professionals
- Management consultants
- Business analysts
- Finance and investment analysts
- Chartered and certified accounts.
At organisations such as:
- Bank of China
- Swiss Re.
Our dedicated careers team offers students one-on-one appointments, support with job applications, practice interviews, information about internship opportunities, and employability events.
Fees and Funding
September 2021 | 12 months
The course fee is charged per annum for years. Note that fees may be subject to an increase on an annual basis.
January 2022 | 12 months
The course fee is charged per annum for years. Note that fees may be subject to an increase on an annual basis
Queen Mary alumni get a £1,000 discount on their fees. Find out more about the Alumni Loyalty Award.
There are a number of ways you can fund your postgraduate degree.
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Postgraduate loans (UK students)
- Country-specific scholarships for international students
Our Advice and Counselling service offers specialist support on financial issues, which you can access as soon as you apply for a place at Queen Mary. Before you apply, you can access our funding guides and advice on managing your money:
- Advice for UK and EU students
- Advice for international students
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 24,950per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Queen Mary University of London, Admissions and Recruitment Office, Mile End Road, Tower Hamlets, E1 4NS, England
25th out of 105 6
Entry standards/ Max 220151 68%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10080.0 80%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.84 77%