PhD/DPhil - Doctor of Philosophy
Singleton Park Campus
01-JAN-22, 01-APR-22, 01-JUL-22
You will undertake an individual biological sciences research project over two years (MPhil) or three years (PhD), supported by our internationally renowned researchers.
The project will be shaped by your participation in research activities such as seminars, workshops, laboratory activity and fieldwork, as well as your involvement in one of our established research groups. We are currently involved with several major research initiatives, including:
- The investment in the Sustainable Expansion of the Applied Coastal and Marine Sectors (SEACAMS) – a project to expand the commercial marine sector in Wales by increasing collaborative research projects between business and universities.
- Algal Biotechnology for Wales Knowledge Transfer Centre – an initiative providing businesses with advice on microalgal biotechnologies and access to industry-focused research.
- EnAlgae – aiming to reduce CO2 emissions and dependency on unsustainable energy sources in North-West Europe.
- Ecojel – managing the opportunities and detrimental impacts of jellyfish in the Irish Sea.
- LRCI Marine, Low Carbon Research Institute – a collaboration of leading academic marine institutions in Wales, undertaking research to underpin the creation of a sustainable marine sector in Wales.
- The WISE programme (Welsh Institutes for Sustainable Environments) – making the impact of their products and processes more environmentally sustainable.
This PhD in Biological Sciences at Swansea will enable you to undertake a substantial project led by you. It is a highly respected qualification which is a necessary step in a career in academia, and also will open a wider scope for employment in fields such as education, government or the private sector. A thesis will be submitted for assessment demonstrating original research with a substantive contribution to the subject area. The PhD title is awarded following a successful oral examination of the thesis (a viva voce examination or viva voce). You will acquire research skills for high-level work and skills and training programmes are available on campus for further support. There will be opportunities to deliver presentations to research students and staff at departmental seminars and conferences. There may also be opportunities to develop your teaching skills through undergraduate tutorials, demonstrations and seminars.
This PhD programme will provide doctoral researchers with:
- The opportunity to conduct high quality postgraduate research in a world leading research environment.
- Key skills needed to undertake advanced academic and non-academic research including qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Advanced critical thinking, intellectual curiosity and independent judgement.
Students for the Masters in Biological Sciences are examined in two parts.
The first part is a thesis which is an original body of work representing the methods and results of the research project. The maximum word limit is 60,000 for the main text. The word limit does not include appendices (if any), essential footnotes, introductory parts and statements or the bibliography and index. The second part is an oral examination (viva voce).
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 21,000per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, Swansea, SA2 8PP, Wales
31st out of 100 4
Entry standards/ Max 240128 58%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10074.0 74%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.29 86%