Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
As a biomedical scientist, you’ll be on the frontline of research into the causes and consequences of diseases of the human body and you'll contribute to diagnosis and management of these conditions.
This BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science course gives you the knowledge, skills and experience you need for a career in this essential scientific profession and the accreditation to pursue a career in NHS laboratory medicine.
This course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and the Royal Society of Biology.
What you'll experience
On this degree course, you'll:
- Find out about the systems of the human body and the diseases that affect them
- Learn about the latest professional practice in pathological disciplines such as haematology and microbiology on one of our optional sandwich placements
- Receive award-winning teaching from active researchers and experts who are at the top of their game
- Get out of the classroom and put your knowledge to the test in our labs, which are kitted out with industry-leading microscopes, spectroscopy and chromatography equipment
- Have the opportunity to learn a language and earn credit towards your degree as part of the University's Institution-Wide Language Programme
You can also:
- Join one of our internationally recognised research groups
- Apply to the Erasmus+ exchange scheme, involving a summer research placement at a European university.'
In the final stage of your course, you’ll carry out a laboratory-based research project. You can complete this project at a partner university in Europe through the Erasmus+ exchange scheme.
Careers and opportunities
You'll graduate from this course as a biomedical scientist in training with transferable skills that give you many career options.
You can apply to the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) to join the biomedical science register. This lets you practice as a qualified biomedical scientist when you graduate. You must have completed a period of work-based learning within one of our Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) approved clinical training laboratories to register.
You can also apply for Associate Membership of the Royal Society of Biology. This gives you access to professional networks and conferences.
Areas you could go onto after the course include:
- scientific research
- further study on an MSc or PhD programme
- scientific writing and the media
- further study at medical or dental school.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course and for up to 5 years are you graduate.
We can give you support and advice, and help you identify placements, internships and voluntary roles that will complement your studies.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 17,600per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level : BBB - AAB
BBB-AAB from A levels, to include Biology plus a second Science subject or Mathematics. For A levels which include a separate science practical component, a pass is desirable and may strengthen an application.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
31st out of 103 1
Entry standards/ Max 240115 50%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10084 84%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.04 81%