Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Do you want to earn a salary and get valuable on-the-job experience while you study for a building surveying degree and other professional qualifications?
On this 5-year chartered surveyor BSc (Hons) Building Surveying degree apprenticeship, you'll spend 1 day a week studying for your degree and the other 4 days in work. The Government or your employer pay your tuition fees – so it doesn’t cost you anything. Degree apprenticeships are suitable for anyone over 18, whether you've just finished school or college or you've already started your career.
You'll learn how to advise on the cost of new development proposals and assess the viability of repairs. And you'll develop knowledge in areas such as dispute resolution, planning law, project management, problem solving and property economics. You'll get to put the skills you learn to work instantly in your job, contributing to the success of your company.
The skills and knowledge you get on this course will put you at the heart of decision-making in construction projects setting you up for successful career as a building surveyor.
This degree is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) so what you learn on the course is relevant to the industry.
At the end of the course, you'll have a BSc (Hons) degree in Building Surveying and be eligible to register as a Chartered Surveyor with RICS.
This gives you an edge over students who didn’t do an accredited course when you’re applying for jobs in the future.
What you'll experience
On this degree apprenticeship course you'll:
- Learn from practising building surveyors and guest speakers
- Get out of the classroom with hands-on practical surveying in real buildings
- Develop the skills you need for a specialist career in building surveying, as well as abilities relevant to facilities management, project management and building conservation
- Use laboratory and test house facilities where you’ll study material performance, surveying and Building Information Modelling (BIM) techniques
- Put theory to the test in your job and on field trips to locations such as the Passivhaus standard housing development, school refurbishment projects and The National Self Building and Renovation Centre
- Have access to the University's student support services and community including the Library, study support, sports and recreation facilities, and the Students’ Union
- Study and work with students from other surveying and civil engineering disciplines, complementing the experience you'll get at work
- Build a network of professional peers during your time at university, sharing your ideas and knowledge
- Get practical work experience in your job, giving you an advantage over students who do a traditional degree
- Get a personal tutor from the University and a workplace mentor
You'll typically go to university one day a week for around 30 weeks every year to attend lectures, seminars and workshops. On the weeks you don't go to University, you'll still spend 20% of your time studying or training away from your normal working environment.
Careers and opportunities
This degree gives you the professional knowledge and practical experience you need to advance your career in the building sector as a building surveyor. You'll be eligible to register as a Chartered Surveyor when you complete your apprenticeship.
The skills and qualifications you gain on this course will also make you an ideal candidate for project and facilities management roles in your organisation and beyond.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
UCAS Points : 112 - 128
112-128 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels. Applicants may need to attend an interview and/or submit a portfolio in support of their application.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
21st out of 36 1
Entry standards/ Max 157116 70%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10096 96%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.13 83%