Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
If you get a buzz out of helping people reach their potential and want to start a career in HR, this BA (Hons) Business and Human Resource Management (HRM) degree course will satisfy your ambition.
You'll learn the skills you'll need to take on roles that attract and retain the right people, in the right place, at the right time.
In your first year, you'll build business and commercial understanding, underpinning your HR practice. You'll focus on HRM topics in years 2 and 3, with the option to explore specialist areas such as inclusion and diversity, employment law, performance management, and HRM in the global workplace.
Between years 2 and 3, you can enhance your career prospects further by completing a year-long industry placement or studying abroad.
Studying this degree could lead you onto a varied career, where you’ll be a highly valued team member in HR, recruitment or training. You can apply for Associate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) when you complete the course.
This degree shares a common first year with several other business courses, which, gives you the flexibility to transfer to another course if you develop an interest in a different subject area.
This course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) and European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) Programme Accreditation System (EPAS).
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn the theory and techniques of effective people management
- Practise your skills by setting up recruitment campaigns and getting involved in simulated interviews, selection panels and employment tribunals
- Apply your learning to case studies and scenarios similar to what you'll encounter in your career
- Develop an understanding of employment law and other specialist topics that match your interests and career goals
- Get to grips with professional skills sought after in all areas of business, including critical thinking, presentation, research and teamworking skills
- Be taught by a mix of HRM practitioners and academic researchers
You can also:
- Apply your knowledge in the workplace on a year-long work placement, boosting your employability prospects after the course
- Study abroad through our links with overseas universities, immersing yourself in a different culture
- Learn a language while you earn credit towards your degree as part of the University's IWLP programme.
Careers and opportunities
Many organisations have a human resources team responsible for attracting and recruiting the right people and managing and developing them throughout their time in the workplace.
Armed with a Business and HRM degree and CIPD Associate Member status, you'll be sought after by organisations that want skilled and knowledgable staff on their human resources team, or working in similar areas like Human Resource Development (HRD).
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for organisations such as Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Close Brothers Asset Management and the Civil Service in a variety of HRM roles, including:
- HR assistant recruitment coordinator
- HR officer
- HR trainee manager
- Training officer
- Recruitment consultant
Our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry when you finish the course.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
112-128 Tariff points from 3 A levels.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
44th out of 123
Entry standards/ Max 209117 54%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10084 84%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.98 80%