Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
Sandwich / Placement
Explore the fundamentals of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) here at Aberystwyth University - with an Integrated Industrial and Professional Training Year to jump start your career prospects, upon successful completion.
The degree itself, which is accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT (BCS) on behalf of the Engineering Council, allows you to develop the skills needed to solve complex problems that include analysis, design, solution choice and implementation.
You will be equipped with the appropriate skills for any typical job in the software industry. However, the AI emphasis will give you the head start in job areas of autonomy, AI, medical and/or bioinformatics tasks, computational intelligence, commercial/business programming of softbot applications, intelligent controllers and more.
Why study Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence with an Integrated Industrial Year at Aberystwyth University?
- Employability embedded in the structure of this degree
- This degree is accredited by the BCS (the Chartered Institute for IT) on behalf of the Engineering Council, which gives you a head start when you enter the competitive job market
- The department will give you access to dedicated Linux, Mac OS X laboratories and central servers
- You will be taught by lecturers who have close links with the industry and software engineering conferences
- Students on this course will have access to robotic equipment including arduinos, mobile robots and sailing robots.
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.
In your first year you may be introduced to:
- Computer Infrastructure
- Web development
- Problems and solutions
In your second year you may discover:
- C and C++ and Environments
- Our software development lifecycle module. This module will allow you to take a role which exists in the industry i.e. project manager, designer etc, you will be required to produce a working software product, following best current industrial practice at every stage.
- Robotics and Embedded Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data structures and Algorithms
In your third year, you may be taking part in your work placement:
- This is with the assistance of the department. By the end of this placement you will have the knowledge and understanding to make a substantial contribution in the workplace.
- You will also return to University with a greater sense of motivation.
In your final year, you will undertake:
- Agile Methodologies
- Machine Learning
- The development of Internet based applications
- Individual project, where you will develop a piece of software in an area of particular interest to you
- A range of further electives to specialise in areas of your choice.
Our degree prepares you for a variety of careers:
- Software design
- Communications and networking
- Computer applications
- Web development
- IT consultancy and management
- Systems analysis and development
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,800per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level : CCC - BBBVIEW MORE
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
22nd out of 110 8
Entry standards/ Max 236130 54%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10095 95%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.33 87%