Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
If you are interested in Computer Science but do not have a sufficient or relevant background, then the Computer Science degree with a Foundation Year, at Aberystwyth University, is for you.
You will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in both the fundamentals of Computer Science and the very latest technological innovations. The first year of this course will be a gentle introduction to the subject. After the first year the scheme follows the same core subjects as the G400 BSc Computer Science scheme.
Learn from cutting-edge research, in a supportive learning environment and get equipped with specialist skills future employers desire.
Why study Computer Science at Aberystwyth University?
- Employability embedded in the structure of this degree.
- The degree is accredited by the BCS (the Chartered Institute for IT) on behalf of the Engineering Council, which gives you a head start when you enter the competitive job market.
- You will have access to dedicated Linux, Mac OS X laboratories and central servers.
- It is taught by lecturers who have close links with the industry and software engineering conferences.
- You will have access to robotic equipment including Arduinos, mobile robots and sailing robots.
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.
In your foundation year you will be introduced to:
- information technology tools
- the mathematical skills needed for your future study
- programming concepts
- optional modules that may include Business or Media.
In your first year you will discover:
- computer infrastructure
- web development
- problems and solutions
In your second and third year, you will explore:
- our software development lifecycle module which will allow you to take a role that exists in the industry ie project manager, designer etc and you will be required to produce a working software product, following best current industrial practice at every stage
- data structures and algorithms
- development processes, techniques and technologies for constructing real operational software
- an individual project, where you will develop a piece of software in an area of particular interest to you
- a range of further electives to specialise in areas of your choice.
Our degree prepares you for a variety of careers:
- software design
- communications and networking
- computer applications
- web development
- IT consultancy and management
- systems analysis and development
- computer sales and marketing
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,800per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level :
Available to those who are studying for, or who have completed Level 3 qualifications (eg, A-Levels or BTEC diploma) and to mature-aged candidates without formal qualifications who have suitable background education, experience and motivation.VIEW MORE
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
22nd out of 110 8
Entry standards/ Max 236130 54%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10095 95%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.33 87%