PhD/DPhil - Doctor of Philosophy
University of Birmingham
Our Dentistry PhD/MSc by Research will equip you with the skills you need to contribute to research that focuses on the scientific basis of oral and dental disease, providing innovative solutions to important problems significantly impacting the population and help to deliver a vision for improving oral and general health.
As part of the School of Dentistry, you will work amongst the very best researchers to produce original and distinctive globally leading research, with the ultimate aim to provide novel diagnostic and therapeutic solutions to the most common oral and general health problems.
Our PhD/MSc by Research program is intended for students who wish to obtain high quality research training that will enable them to conduct independent investigative research.
You can choose from a range of research areas within Dentistry covering:
- Primary Dental Care
- Tissue Injury and Repair
You will work closely with your supervisory team who will help you clarify your project and support your development. Your thesis will represent an original contribution to knowledge and demonstrate independent judgement.
For all you need to know about our staff, news, research areas and the impact of our research visit the School of Dentistry.
Why study this course?
When you join your programme you will become part of the Graduate School within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences giving you access to:
- Supervision from leading academics to support you through your research programme including research techniques and training.
- Training and development courses to enable you to gain research and generic (transferable) training skills
- Opportunities to attend and take part in Research Poster festivals and other postgraduate activities to boost your academic and networking skills
- An allocated academic mentor so you can access pastoral support
- State-of-the art facilities to support a range of teaching, learning and research activity with access to dedicated write up rooms, libraries, and computer facilities.
The University of Birmingham is the The Times and The Sunday Times University of the Year for Graduate Employment 2016. This coveted accolade places Birmingham as the UK’s number one university for securing a graduate-level job. We have a global reputation for producing sought after graduates and are:
- 4th for employability in the Guardian University Guide 2017.
- the 11th most targeted university by leading employers in the 2016 High Fliers Graduate Market report.
- ranked as 65th in the world for employer reputation by QS World University rankings.
- listed as 12th in the UK in The Global Employability University Ranking 2016. The rankings illustrate the top 150 universities most frequently selected by global employers.
In the College of Medical and Dental Sciences our average Graduate Employability rate is 97% since 2012. A high proportion of our postgraduate research students go onto roles such as Postdoctoral Researcher, Teaching Fellow, Research Fellow within the University and local NHS hospitals as well as moving into pharmaceutical and research and development sectors.
31 August 2022
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 24,780per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England
13th out of 16 3
Entry standards/ Max 225160 71%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10090.0 90%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.89 78%