PhD/DPhil - Doctor of Philosophy
University of Aberdeen
FEB-21, MAR-21, APR-21, MAY-21, JUN-21, JUL-21
At the Institute of Dentistry, we offer degrees under the supervision of experts in the fields of head and neck cancer, microbial diseases, population oral health and pedagogic innovation.
Oral health is an integral element of general health and well-being. Oral diseases are among the most prevalent diseases in humans and claim a heavy toll in terms of morbidity and mortality. At the Institute of Dentistry we are carrying out research projects aimed at further understanding of the etiopathogenesis of oral diseases and to develop innovative preventive and therapeutic strategies.
There are currently four main research themes within the Institute of Dentistry that build on areas of current research excellence. Our researchers and their collaborators are already making impact on the local, national and international stage. Each theme builds upon interdisciplinary research and addresses key societal questions.
Head and Neck Cancer
- Digital pathology for classification of oral lesions
- We research objective descriptors of different morphological features, and oral lesions at tissue and cellular levels.
Head and Neck Cancer Immunology
- We identify different modulators of the tumour micro environment to enhance the anti-tumour response in the context of immunotherapy
- Prevention of HIV transmission
- We discover and test new inhibitors with increased potency, barriers to viral resistance, and optimisation of anti-retroviral drug development
- Oral Mucosal Inflammatory Disease
- We investigate microbiotica and the immune response in pathogenesis of oral inflammatory diseases
- Clinicians and scientists work together to inform measures to control resistance of bacteria associated with hospital infections.
Population Oral Health
- Periodontal disease and systemic health
- Long term interventions to prevent and/or control the course of the disease
- Oral health in priority groups
- Improvements to oral health and well-being of priority groups in collaboration with national and local partners
- Pedagogic Innovation
- Factors that influence performance and professionalism, quality assurance and development of effective assessment tools
- Dentistry is ranked 1st (The Guardian University Guide 2020)
There are many opportunities at the University of Aberdeen to develop your knowledge, gain experience and build a competitive set of skills to enhance your employability. This is essential for your future career success. The Careers and Employability Service can help you to plan your career and support your choices throughout your time with us, from first to final year – and beyond.
Please note that part-time study is not available for resident international students. The PhD may be conducted, full-time or part-time, by distance learning, which carries no residency requirement.
The PhD at the University of Aberdeen is a research degree. Research degrees are defined by the student’s own research proposal, on which the student will write a thesis. Research students read on their own research topic and work closely with their supervisors to define their research and write a thesis. They also attend regular research seminars, are provided with opportunities to attend conferences and for some postgraduates, there are opportunities to gain undergraduate teaching experience.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Aberdeen, Directorate of External Relations, King's College, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, City Of, AB24 3FX, Scotland
13th out of 16 4
Entry standards/ Max 225n/a
Graduate prospects/ Max 100100 100%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.31 86%