Foundation Degree in Arts - FdA
Stanmore College - London
If you want to take your career as an early years professional to the next level, we’ve got the perfect course to get you there.
This Foundation degree (FdA) in Early Years Care and Education is for current and aspiring early years practitioners who want to get professional recognition with a university-level qualification. You’ll work with professionals to learn skills and knowledge that’ll serve you in a rewarding career helping children to realise their potential.
The Foundation Degree in Early Years Care and Education has been validated by SEFDEY (Sector Endorsed Foundation Degrees in Early Years Professional Association) as meeting the criteria for Sector-Endorsement.
The 3-year course is part time and has around 4 hours a week of teaching in term time. So you can complete your studies alongside your job.
After the course, you'll be more effective in your current role as an early years professional. You could also go on to do a Bachelor's degree such as our BA (Hons) Education Studies or use your Foundation degree to do training that leads to Qualified Teacher Status such as Early Years Teacher Training.
What you'll experience
On this Early Years Care and Education course, you’ll:
- Develop your skills and knowledge to become an effective early years professional, through practical activity and the study of theories and contemporary issues within education
- Learn in supportive study groups, alongside other Early Years professionals from different backgrounds
- Study alongside your existing role, whether you’re in a general or special educational needs setting, in a school or other education institution
- Be taught by staff with heaps of experience, using dynamic and relevant teaching methods to help you get the most out of your studies
- Discover practical ways to put the knowledge and skills you learn to work
- Have the option to begin the course in year 2 if you already have sufficient experience or qualifications
- Study at one of our partner colleges: City College Southampton (from September 2021), St Vincent's College (part time) or Stanmore College, Isle of Wight College (full time)
Careers and opportunities
Completing this Foundation degree opens up many career options.
What can you do with an Early Years Care and Education FdA?
You could progress to a relevant Bachelor's degree, such as BA (Hons) Education Studies. You could also go on to do teacher training through PGCE, SCITT or Early Years Initial Teacher Training programmes.
After you finish the course, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
76th out of 81 1
Entry standards/ Max 201118 59%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10066 66%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.00 80%