MA - Master of Arts
At this point in human history, many academics, activists, leaders and thinkers are calling for urgent reconsideration of the cultural narratives and spiritual values that support our very existence on the planet.
In an attempt to divert the current trajectory of ‘progress’ and ‘development’ towards a more sustainable and equitable future, this requires objective and critical thinking about our relationship and connection to the natural world, to the people and communities around us and to the very beliefs and values that drive our individual and collective actions.
This programme in Ecology and Spirituality explores the relationship between spirituality, religion, philosophy on the one hand, and ecology on the other. We can ask whether spirituality and religion may be causes of current ecological crises, or offer solutions to the systemic ecological crises in which we find ourselves.
We inquire into the spiritual uses of ecology - and ask whether it has a spiritual dimension. As a programme of postgraduate study, depending on the modules you choose, this course offers a personal and experiential journey – an opportunity for you to deeply explore your own inner landscape and how it relates to your actions in the outer world.
You will combine critical thinking and academic rigour with an exploration of your own values, beliefs and personal narratives and how these fit and find resonance and authenticity with your life and work.
This is a chance to look at your own relationship with our planet – and in doing so explore personal and collective solutions to living in a more sustainable, resilient, connected harmonious and beautiful world.
One unique feature of this programme is that it extends the concept of the environment to a wider cosmic environment, offering the chance to take modules which engage us with the sky, planets and stars.
As a student on the Ecology and Spirituality (MA) you will:
- Study for an accredited and internationally recognised Master’s degree.
- Be part of one of the UK’s most prestigious universities.
- Have the chance to work from home with no requirement to visit the UK.
- Have access to thousands of on-line academic papers and books.
- Be part of an international community of like-minded students.
- Study with expert tutors who all have, or are working for, PhDs in the subject area.
- Engage with debates concerning the nature and cultural role of ecology and spirituality
- Choose from a range of optional modules: Environmental Philosophy, Religion and the Environment, Sacred Geography, Skyscapes, Cosmology and Archaeology, Astral Religion, Heavenly Discourses, Sky and Psyche, and Cosmology, Magic and Divination.
- Engage with concepts such as sacred space.
- Acquire contemporary data which will contribute to scholarly understanding of our place on our planet
- Have a chance to pursue your own independent research under expert supervision.
As a successful student you will have:
- Gained an understanding of the relationship between ecology and spirituality in society, through history and in a range of cultures.
- Acquired skills in qualitative research.
- Developed skills in critical thinking and the ability to develop evidence-based arguments in the subject area.
- Obtained a qualification which stands as a worldwide mark of quality.
- Learned how to communicate with academics and experts across the field and in different disciplines.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 13,340per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Wales Trinity Saint David, College Road, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, SA31 3EP, Wales
29th out of 33 5
Entry standards/ Max 197n/a
Graduate prospects/ Max 10040 40%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.18 84%