Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
From allocating departmental budgets to reacting to changes in government monetary policy, successful managers in business make effective economic decisions every day.
This BA (Hons) Economics and Management degree gives you a solid foundation in both subjects, with less of a technical and mathematical focus than our other economics courses.
In your first year you'll examine the key concepts of business economics, including how internal and external economic forces affect businesses. You'll also cover core business topics including marketing, accounting and people management.
In years 2 and 3, you'll build on your economics and management knowledge and study specialist topics that suit your ambitions and interests in areas such as ethics and sustainability, entrepreneurship, risk management and labour economics.
You'll have the opportunity to enhance your career prospects and apply your skills in the workplace on a placement year in industry between years 2 and 3. You can also spend your sandwich year studying abroad at a partner university in countries such as Czech Republic, USA, Spain , Italy, Japan, Sweden, Croatia, Hungary and The Netherlands.
When you graduate, your economics knowledge, management skills, business acumen and analytical ability will make you an asset to any organisation. Your economics skills will open doors to roles in areas such as banking, accounting, tax consultancy and risk management.
This degree shares a common first year with several other business courses. This gives you the flexibility to transfer to another course if you develop an interest in a different subject area.
This course is accredited by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). This accreditation shows that your learning will have an international outlook, that you’ll engage with employers and that you’ll learn about ethics, sustainability and corporate social responsibility.
What you'll experience
- Learn to become an effective manager with guidance from experts with years of experience in business
- Get a deep understanding of economics, and how microeconomic and macroeconomic factors affect business decision making
- Analyse market movements and learn to make fast-paced investment decisions using our Bloomberg Suite, the trading platform used by professionals
- Get the Bloomberg Certificate as part of your studies, demonstrating to future employers that you know your way around the Bloomberg Suite
- Tailor your studies to your interests and career ambitions
You can also:
- Apply your knowledge in the workplace on a year-long work placement, boosting your employability prospects after the course
- Learn a language while you earn credit towards your degree as part of the University's IWLP programme.
Careers and opportunities
When you complete your degree successfully, you’ll be suited to managerial-level roles in any company or organisation.
You could pursue a career in areas such as:
- Commercial and investment banking
- Tax consultancy
- Risk management
- Management training
- Human resources
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- T Level
A level : ABB - AAB
128-136 points from 3 A levels or equivalent.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
60th out of 122 16
52nd out of 80 1
Entry standards/ Max 209111 52%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10070 70%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.06 81%
Entry standards/ Max 233107 48%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10076 76%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.98 80%