Bachelor of Science in Economics (with Honours) - BSc Econ H
The financial sector – which includes banking activities such as lending, accepting and safeguarding money – is a key element of a functioning economy.
If you have an interest in financial markets and the banking industry, and want to understand how financial services and wider economic factors affect the sector, this BSc (Econ) (Hons) Economics, Finance and Banking degree course is ideal.
You'll get a comprehensive understanding of economics theory and learn to apply it to the fields of finance and banking, using real scenarios. You'll build on your maths and statistics skills, and learn data analysis and research methods, gaining a clearer view of the how and why of the financial sector.
In years 2 and 3, you can choose modules that match your interests and career ambitions on specialist subjects such as game theory, public sector economics and economic policy.
You'll have the opportunity to apply your skills in the workplace on an optional sandwich year after year 2. You can also experience another culture by spending this year studying abroad.
After the course, you'll be set for a career in areas such as investment banking, tax consultancy and risk management. Your knowledge and skills will make you a valuable asset to any business.
This degree shares some first-year elements with several other economics courses. This gives you the flexibility to transfer to another course after year 1 if you develop an interest in a specific subject area.
What you'll experience
On this degree course you'll:
- Learn from active researchers, whose expertise on topics such as herding behaviour and anti-competitive practice in foreign exchange markets is helping shape our society and the economy
- Get a comprehensive foundation in economics with a focus on the world of finance, covering topics on money, banking and financial markets
- Develop the maths, statistics and research skills you need to be a competent economist
- Tailor your studies to focus on the specialist topics that interest you
- Use the latest econometric software, such as eViews
- Analyse market movements and learn to make fast-paced investment decisions using our Bloomberg Suite, the trading platform used by professionals
- Get the Bloomberg Certificate as part of your studies, demonstrating to future employers that you know your way around the Bloomberg Suite
Careers and opportunities
The skills you learn on this degree are in high demand in the public and private sectors.
When you complete the course, you'll be prepared for work in areas such as commercial and investment banking, accounting, tax consultancy and risk management. Your skills and knowledge will also be an asset in most business settings.
Previous students have secured jobs in organisations including Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan and Barclays Corporate Banking in roles such as:
- Financial analyst
- Investment analyst
- Trader in financial assets
- Purchasing and acquisitions officer
- Performance analyst
- Financial accountant
You could also study a postgraduate qualification or apply for a graduate development scheme.
Work experience and career planning
To help you secure a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course to develop your skills and build links in the industry.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
120-128 Tariff points from 3 A levels.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
37th out of 103 1
51st out of 78 2
Entry standards/ Max 220112 51%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10088 88%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.13 83%
Entry standards/ Max 233108 48%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10079 79%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%