MSc - Master of Science
Ready to apply your geological knowledge to engineering and construction projects both onshore and offshore, and take your studies to postgraduate level? Our MSc Engineering Geology degree course is for you.
You'll learn the advanced skills needed to understand the impact of geological conditions on engineering structures such as tunnels, dams, mines, quarries, offshore platforms and wind farms, plan and conduct detailed investigations into surface and subsurface geology to identify adverse ground conditions, and design suitable remedial measures for these types of structures.
Geological expertise is critical in all types of civil engineering projects – and when you graduate, you'll be able to meet the huge national and international demand for specialist engineering geologists. The course will lead to a career in the environmental, engineering geological and geotechnical sectors.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn from expert staff and researchers with extensive expertise in engineering geology and geotechnics.
- Become skilled in lab, computer and field techniques through a combination of lectures, seminars, tutorials, workshops, field work and practical sessions
- Get hands-on experience of engineering geological mapping techniques, geomorphological and terrain analysis, applied GIS and remote sensing using current industry standard applications and techniques.
- Take part in field trips, both locally and overseas, to develop your advanced engineering geological and geomorphological mapping and data collection skills.
- Complete your own research project in the UK or abroad with opportunities to work with industrial partners on a joint project.
Careers and opportunities
Potential roles include geotechnical engineer, engineering geologist, mining engineer and tunneling engineer for major mining companies, as well as environmental, geological and geotechnical consultancies.
What can you do with an Engineering Geology degree?
Our previous graduates have also pursued careers in:
- Engineering geology consultants
- Geotechnical consultants and contractors
- Environmental organisations
- Marine and offshore consultants
- Civil service and local government
- Mining and quarry industries
This course also has strong research skills training, advanced analytical components and an extensive research project, ideal if you wish to pursue further research at PhD level. We'll give you as much support as possible in finding employment through use of our Alumni network, close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Work experience and career planning
We have an extensive Alumni network from our applied geoscience masters courses and very strong industrial links and we'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the environmental, geological and geotechnical industries.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 17,600per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
17th out of 29 3
Entry standards/ Max 240106 47%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10086 86%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.12 82%