Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Portsmouth is the perfect place to study literature. Charles Dickens was born here, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle called these streets home, and Rudyard Kipling’s work was inspired by his early years in the city.
On this BA (Hons) English Literature degree, you’ll examine literature from classics to the contemporary, and become an expert in reading, analysing and discussing the written works that inspire you.
You’ll emerge with a skill set that’s sought after for careers in the arts, publishing and media. The critical thinking, reading and analytical abilities you'll develop will also set you up for postgraduate study or roles in areas like teaching and politics.
What you'll experience
On this course, you’ll:
- Build your knowledge of literature, from Shakespeare to the present day, and across genres from crime writing to magical realism
- Learn from staff who are undertaking research in this field, ensuring you keep abreast of the latest developments
- Tailor your studies to the areas of literature that excite you the most, choosing modules that match your interests
- Develop analytical reading, presentation and team-work skills that’ll serve you in your future career
- Get plenty of one-on-one sessions with your personal tutor
Careers and opportunities
A degree in English literature is a great foundation for a career in the arts. Graduate employers also value the sophisticated analytical and presentational skills you'll develop on this course.
What can you do with an English Literature degree?
After the course, you could work in areas such as:
- arts and media
- public relations
You could also study at postgraduate level.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
We'll also be available to help, advise and support you for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level : BCC - BBB
We also accept other combinations equivalent to 104-120 Tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, to include English.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
73rd out of 100 17
Entry standards/ Max 206100 49%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10058 58%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.30 86%