Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
BSc Environmental Earth Science with integrated Foundation Year, at Aberystwyth University, will provide you with a detailed insight into Geological and Environmental Earth Science topics. The Department of Geography & Earth Sciences is one of the most established and experienced departments of its kind.
You will study the core skills in geology and apply these to a wide range of environmental problems. You will be taught field skills which can be applied to solving some of the big issues facing our society such as pollution from human activities like mining and power production or understanding volcanic eruptions and how hazard maps are created. The degree will train you to solve problems and contribute to society. We run field courses in each of the three years of your degree. Our facilities are recognised by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
The integrated foundation year - designed for prospective students who do not have a sufficient or relevant academic background - is the perfect option to access this highly-sort scheme. In the Foundation Year, you will be brought up to speed on the fundamentals of Environmental Earth Science, providing a solid base for you to go on and enjoy the full undergraduate degree.
Why study Environmental Earth Science at Aberystwyth University?
- Aberystwyth University offers you the unique opportunity to study geography in one of the most picturesque locations in Europe. Set on the coast of Cardigan Bay and surrounded by a great diversity of beautiful environments, including marine, moorland, mountain and grassland, our department is uniquely placed to make the most of the stunning landscapes that surround it, providing you with a fabulous variety of fieldwork and recreational opportunities;
- You will explore and receive a detailed insight into Geological and Environmental Earth Sciences topics;
- This course will enable you to develop a deeper understanding of climate change;
- You will understand the impacts of volcanic eruptions on the environment and insights into mass extinction events;
- Your mentors and lecturers will inform you of the current trends in Geohazards and provide training in engineering Geology and Hydrology;
- You will develop a solid understanding of contemporary environmental issues: pollution, climate change, waste disposal among many others;
- Our facilities are recognised by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- We offer fieldwork opportunities in each of the three years of your degree;
- For those who would like to study through the medium of Welsh, there are a number of modules available to those who have an interest.
What can I do with a degree in Environmental Earth Sciences?
Our graduates have, for example, found employment as environmental consultants, planners, civil servants, surveyors, and in education amongst man other things.
Employability is embedded within all courses provided by us. Our degrees provide a solid foundation for a vast array of careers across a range of sectors. In a rapidly shifting global economy, our graduates are adaptable and able to draw on a range of transferable skills, ensuring that they are always in demand.
The skill sets include:
- Enhanced mathematical and computational skills;
- Effective problem solving and creative thinking skills;
- Information technology skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Time-management, organisational skills;
- Communication skills both written and oral;
- Self-motivation and self-reliance.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,800per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
GCSE/National 4/National 5 :
A minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent) English or Welsh is a requirement for entry to all our degree schemes. Level 3 KS/FS Communication may be acceptable in lieu of GCSE English or Welsh. For this degree scheme minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics is also required. GCSE Mathematics-Numeracy is acceptable in lieu of GCSE Mathematics.VIEW MORE
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
17th out of 72
Entry standards/ Max 210126 60%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10084 84%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.25 85%