MSc - Master of Science
.About the School
Geography has been taught at Queen Mary since 1894, making us one of the longest-established schools of geography in the UK. Today, we are one of the leading centres for geographical scholarship. We were ranked 11th overall for our excellence in the latest UK research rankings and fifth for the quality of our staff’s research publications (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
Set in the heart of one of London’s most vibrant and diverse areas, the School is ideally placed for studying the capital’s people, places, cultures and environment, as well as being a global hub for geographical expertise. We have a culturally diverse and inclusive postgraduate community.
We pride ourselves on our close links with external partners including the Environment Agency, the Geffrye Museum of the Home, Citizens UK and Natural England.
The School of Geography received the Athena SWAN bronze award in September 2016.
This programme provides you with advanced level training in environmental science, enabling you to undertake research on a topic of your choice. Work closely with experts in your field of interest to explore a specialist topic in depth, and disseminate your findings to the scientific and practitioner communities. This MSc is ideal for those wishing to pursue further research through a PhD, or gain employment in the environmental sector.
- Work with two internationally recognised experts in physical geography or environmental science
- Engage with research training and professional development opportunities tailored to your field of interest
- Access our superb research and analytical facilities
- Work with partner organisations and gain insight into their structure and operation
What you'll study
You will explore key research methodologies, skills, approaches and debates relevant to your field of study through a compulsory research skills module and one elective module selected to align with your research interests.
The independent research project, which is the major component of this programme, may involve working with a partner organisation and it may therefore have an applied focus or contribute to the work of that organisation. The research project report is submitted in the form of a draft manuscript with supplementary material as appropriate to a relevant, peer-reviewed journal in your field.
Your taught modules and research project will provide you with a range of transferable skills suitable for further research and employment, including field and laboratory skills, data modelling, statistical analysis, project management and critical review and evaluation.
- Geospatial analysis, remote sensing and environmental modelling software and computing facilities
- Analysis of environmental samples including water and sediment chemistry
- River Laboratory incorporating sediment transport demonstration channel, river simulator and digital camera equipment and software to capture river morphology in 3D
- Use dedicated Masters study and computing spaces within the School of Geography.
- Access an unparalleled range of learning resources, special collections, and world-leading libraries within QMUL and the University of London, such as the QMUL Library, Senate House Library. Other specialist collections are accessible nearby, for example at the British Library.
The programme will prepare you for doctoral-level research and will provide you with knowledge and understanding relevant to employment in organisations in the environmental sector. Recent graduates have secured PhD positions at QMUL, UCL and the University of Cambridge and held roles with the government agencies (e.g. Health and Safety Executive) and environmental consultancies.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Queen Mary University of London, Admissions and Recruitment Office, Mile End Road, Tower Hamlets, E1 4NS, England
36th out of 72 3
Entry standards/ Max 210125 59%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10069 69%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.85 77%