MSc - Master of Science
Southampton General Hospital
About this course
Learn how to harness recent unprecedented advances in genomic technologies to improve patient outcomes on this master's in genomics. You’ll gain experience of exploring and applying data gained through sampling, sequencing and interpreting genomic information in both clinical and academic research.
We look at Genomics in the context of its application to clinical practice and to medical and academic research. This MSc in genomics is, therefore, suitable for health professionals from different professional backgrounds, including medicine, nursing, public health, science and technology.
You’ll be able to tailor your learning to your professional needs.
Your genomics pathway options are:
- MSc Genomics - choose from a wide range of optional modules to enhance your core genomics learning on this flexible pathway.
- MSc Genomic Informatics - you’ll develop specialist knowledge of genomics informatics, the science of problem-solving using data, and will be able to choose to study topics such as programming and machine learning.
- MSc Genomic Medicine - you’ll study the impact of genomics in medicine, with core learning in genomics guided treatment and focus on the treatment of common and rare diseases.
- Our intensive, condensed modules allow you to attend in person in blocks of 2-3 days, with self-study between modules supported through our online learning environment.
- We offer specialist modules focusing on:
- data analysis and interpretation – genomic informatics
- genetic counselling skills
- precision medicine – genomics guided treatment
- the clinical interpretation of genomic information
Genomics medicine and bioinformatics are specialist research areas of the University. You’ll benefit from our work with the Wessex Regional Genetics Service and the Wessex Regional Genetics Laboratory.
We’re home to the UK’s first dedicated Cancer Immunology Centre. This centre is at the large teaching hospital where you’ll be based, Southampton General Hospital. The University also boasts one of the world’s top 500 supercomputers, Iridis 5.
During your research project, you’ll work alongside our research groups. You’ll be able to contribute to the development of genomics with the very real possibility of your research being published.
This course is available to take as an intercalation degree for undergraduate medical students. Intercalation means that you'll take a year out of your undergraduate medicine degree to gain this extra award.
“There is currently rapid growth in studies with a genetic focus and I have been able to use my new knowledge of the application of genomics in healthcare in my research roles and clinical trials.” Maria Lane, MSc Genomic Medicine 2019
‘Genomics is a fast-growing and highly dynamic global industry and the UK is in a strong position internationally’ (Genomics in the UK Report, 2015).
Genomics is an area of rapid change, with a particular skills shortage in the area of bioinformatics, an area you can specialise in through this MSc.
Our Graduates have gone onto a wide range of careers and genomic medicine jobs within the sector, including:
- graduate entry medicine
- NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) in Cancer Genomics
- NHS research facilitator
- PhD study
- medical science liaison officer (pharmaceutical company)
- training programme director (pharmacy, Health Education England)
- research manager (university)
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 20,693per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, Hampshire, SO17 1BJ, England
19th out of 100 7
Entry standards/ Max 240147 66%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10076.0 76%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.25 85%