Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Are you fascinated by the world, its societies and what the future of our planet looks like? Do you want to learn professional skills that allow you to apply these interests to your career?
On this professionally accredited BA (Hons) Geography degree course, you’ll cover people, communities and cultures, examine conservation, sustainability and economic urban development, and learn how governments, businesses and people develop global systems. You'll also learn professional skills in communication, problem solving, decision making and teamwork.
You’ll emerge with skills that help you understand and engage with the world, and be set for a career in everything from urban or environmental management to teaching.
You could earn more than the average graduate too – 5 years after graduation, female geography graduates earn 11.6% more than a typical female graduate and male graduates earn 2% more than a typical male graduate (Institute For Fiscal Studies, 2018).
This course is accredited by the Royal Geographical Society. This shows the teaching on this course is of the highest quality and has been approved by an independent body of academics and industrialists.
What you'll experience
On this degree course, you’ll:
- Study human geography and environmental issues and management
- Use specialist facilities including physical geography laboratories, GIS and photogrammetry labs, laser survey technology, photogrammetry equipment
- Tailor your studies, by choosing modules that match your interests and career ambitions
- Have the chance to experience some of the societies or landscapes you’re studying by doing field work
- Enrich your studies by hearing from guest speakers from public, private and non-profit sectors
- Have the opportunity to learn a language and earn credit towards your degree as part of the University's Institution-Wide Language Programme
Careers and opportunities
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies and build links with employers and the industry.
After you leave the University you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
What can you do with a Geography degree?
At the end of the course, you'll have many technical and professional skills you can apply to your career. Previous students have gone onto work in areas such as:
- environmental management
- business management
- public services
What jobs can you do with a Geography degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- geographical information scientist
- environmental consultant
- spatial analyst
- coastal process scientist
- urban planner
- transport planner.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
112-128 Tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A levels.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
45th out of 72 4
Entry standards/ Max 21099 47%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10077 77%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.21 84%