Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
Sandwich / Placement
Aberystwyth University’s Department of Geography Earth Sciences is the most established and experienced department of its kind. Aberystwyth University offers you the unique opportunity to study geography in one of the most picturesque locations in Europe and at the same time enhance your employability with our integrated year in industry programme.
Set on the coast of Cardigan Bay and surrounded by a great diversity of beautiful environments, including marine, moorland, mountain and grassland, the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences is uniquely placed to make the most of the stunning landscapes that surround it, providing you with a fabulous variety of fieldwork and recreational opportunities. This degree accredited by the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) will equip you with the skills, abilities, and expertise to face and engage with the challenges facing society today.
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.
In your first year you will be introduced to:
- key concepts in geographical study
- issues and techniques in the collection, analysis and presentation of geographical data
- climate change
- landscape processes
- economic development
In your second year you will develop further your:
- laboratory and computer research skills in preparation for your independent research project
- skills of analysing quantitative and qualitative datasets
- knowledge of producing maps and other graphical representations of geographical data;
You will also participate in a residential field trip in the UK or overseas, and can choose optional modules to specialise or simply maintain a broad interest across Geography.
In your third year you will embark on your Integrated Year in Industry.
In your final year you will:
- undertake an independent research project involving collection, analysis and interpretation of your own data
- be allocated your own advisor who will provide expert guidance
- take optional modules as diverse as glaciology, hydrology, volcanic hazards, past climate change, urbanisation, and rural change which will enable you to tailor your study to suit your interests.
Employability is embedded within all courses provided by us. Our degrees provide a solid foundation for a vast array of careers across a range of sectors. In a rapidly shifting global economy, our graduates are adaptable and able to draw on a range of transferable skills, ensuring that they are always in demand. The year spent in industry as part of this degree will, however, provide you with specific skills and experiences that will be directly relevant to particular career paths.
The skill sets include:
- enhanced mathematical and computational skills
- effective problem solving and creative thinking skills
- information technology skills
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- time-management, organisational skills
- communication skills both written and oral
- self-motivation and self-reliance.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 13,600per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level : CCC - BBBVIEW MORE
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
17th out of 72
Entry standards/ Max 210126 60%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10084 84%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.25 85%