Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Geology offers you the chance to find out how the Earth works and when you combine Physics with this subject you get a real sense of energy and matter and their interaction.
Joint degree programme combining approximately 50% Geology and 50% Physics courses of study.
Students are assessed by any combination of three assessment methods:
- coursework such as essays and reports completed throughout the course;
- practical assessments of the skills and competencies learnt on the course; and
- written examinations at the end of each course.
The exact mix of these methods differs between subject areas, year of study and individual courses.
Honours projects are typically assessed on the basis of a written dissertation.
Why Study Geology and Physics?
- Aberdeen is the oil and gas capital of Europe making it the most relevant place in the UK to study Geology and Petroleum Geology.
- Understanding Geology is fundamental to the exploration for hydrocarbon resources and this is why we offer a Petroleum Geology degree at Aberdeen. However, we also ensure you have a basic knowledge of the way the Earth works as this is vital to the understanding of the nature and origin of Earth Resources.
- Fieldwork is an important element of our Geology degree, we make the best use of our location in Scotland – close to many great areas for fieldwork.
- Fieldwork locations include - Arran, Skye, NW Highlands and other areas throughout the UK. The MGeol programme includes a trip to Italy.
- Aberdeen is geographically perfect for the study of Geology, having some world-class field sites close at hand which can be conveniently visited on day courses. Many of the UK's top 100 Geological sites are within easy reach from Aberdeen and are visited by our students and staff alike.
- Many past graduates continue to work in the city and links with industry are therefore very strong with employability being second to none.
- You will have the chance to join the American Association of Petroleum Geologists Student Chapter. This is an active and very social Student Chapter which will give you the opportunity to expand your knowledge, skills and networks beyond the classroom.
- To expand skills, knowledge and networks even further, many of our students join the Aberdeen Geology Society.
- Our BSc degrees are fully accredited by the Geological Society for London.
Our degree(s) in Geology open up career opportunities with the global oil and gas industry, as well as other key sectors. Our degrees are highly respected by the oil and gas industry and our graduates are in high demand.
Geology is also a subject that opens up tremendous opportunities for further study, either at MSc or PhD level.
15 January 2020
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level : BBB
A minimum of 3 A Levels at BBB - to include Mathematics and Physics.To be considered for entry into Second Year, a minimum of 3 A Levels at ABB, with AB from Mathematics and Physics (including the subject(s) nominated for Honours - an A in the subject for Single Honours or AB in the subjects for Joint Honours).Also required: GCSE at C or above in English or English Language, Mathematics and in either Chemistry, or Physics or Dual Award Science.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Aberdeen, Directorate of External Relations & Marketing, King's College, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, City Of, AB24 3FX, Scotland
12th out of 29
19th out of 49 7
Entry standards/ Max 240156 68%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10078 78%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.07 81%
Entry standards/ Max 240174 75%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10083 83%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.13 83%