Staffordshire University (Stoke-on-Trent Campus)
Our Professional Doctorate offers a unique opportunity to experience and develop your professional skills in Health Psychology, under the guidance of highly qualified and committed staff.
Health psychology is the study of psychological processes and their application to health, illness and healthcare. Through this course, you’ll develop competence in professional skills, as well as research, psychological interventions, teaching, and consultancy.
The qualification will provide a guarantee for employers that you’re competent in core aspects of health psychology and professional practice.
This course is accredited by the British Psychological Society. When you’re awarded the degree you’ll gain Stage 2 accreditation towards becoming a Chartered Psychologist and be eligible to apply to register as a Health Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Staffordshire University has a thriving Health Psychology research culture, focused in the Staffordshire Centre for Psychological Research, with an excellent national and international reputation.
You’re expected to have a relevant health-related placement (paid or unpaid) before applying to the course. The placement will need to be formally approved prior to you joining us, and you’ll need to identify a workplace contact (who will be a suitably qualified healthcare professional) who will be available to support you. Placements differ across trainees, if you’re concerned whether your placement is suitable, then please contact the course leaders directly.
We require trainees to submit a minimum of one unit of assessment per year. What you choose to submit will depend on which of the competences you are working towards – remember, the professional doctorate is designed to allow you to take advantage of opportunities as and when they arise.
This course is built around you gaining practical experience as you work towards your competencies.
- You’ll be working in a health psychology-related field through the placement you organise prior to commencing your Stage 2 studies. As such, you gain valuable experience in all elements of health psychology work, and you evidence this experience in a portfolio.
- In addition, we involve the Careers Service in our programme (you can arrange with them to have further input on CV development and interview skills).
- You’ll also have opportunities to see other health psychologists present their work (including our own graduates), either as guest lecturers or as part of the speaker programme organised by the school.
- If you choose to take advantage of the extra events that we organise (such as journal club and psychology in the pub), you’ll have the opportunity to hone your critical skills and expand your network.
- Finally, we host a conference in July each year, which students organise at which you’re expected to present your work. We also invite workplace supervisors to attend, along with ex-students (many of whom are themselves employers) some of whom also give talks. Speaking at the conference is an opportunity to showcase your work and to advertise your skills.
All of these opportunities, combined with the placement-based learning enhance your employability.
Once you’ve completed the course you can apply to the Health and Care Professions Council to become an accredited practitioner, and for full membership, including Chartered Status, of the British Psychological Society.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 12,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Staffordshire University, College Road, Stoke on Trent, ST4 2DE, England
87th out of 118 35
Entry standards/ Max 216107 51%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10046.0 46%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.14 83%