Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
Sandwich / Placement
Aberystwyth University's Department of Geography and Earth Sciences is one of the most established and experienced departments of its kind. Aberystwyth University offers you the unique opportunity to study geography in one of the most picturesque locations in Europe and at the same time enhance your employability with our integrated year in industry programme.
Set on the coast of Cardigan Bay and surrounded by a great diversity of beautiful environments, including marine, moorland, mountain and grassland, the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences is uniquely placed to make the most of the stunning landscapes that surround it, providing you with a fabulous variety of fieldwork and recreational opportunities. This degree accredited by the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) will equip you with the academic and enhanced employability skills.
What will I learn?
In your first year you will be introduced to:
- key concepts in geographical study
- issues and techniques in the collection, analysis and presentation of geographical data
- climate change
- economic development
In your second year you will:
- develop your computer research skills in preparation for your independent research project
- learn how to analyse quantitative and qualitative and qualitative data sets
- produce maps and other graphical representations of geographical data
- participate in a residential field trip overseas
- choose optional modules to specialise or simply maintain a broad interest across Geography.
In your third year you will embark on your study year abroad.
In your final year:
- you will undertake an independent research project involving collection, analysis and interpretation of your own data
- you will be allocated your own advisor who will provide expert guidance
- you will choose optional modules on a diverse range of specialist topics.
What can I do with a degree in Human Geography?
Our graduates have, for example, found employment as environmental consultants, planners, civil servants, surveyors, and in education amongst many other things.
Employability is embedded within all courses provided by us. Our degrees provide a solid foundation for a vast array of careers across a range of sectors. In a rapidly shifting global economy, our graduates are adaptable and able to draw on a range of transferable skills, ensuring that they are always in demand.
The skill sets include:
- enhanced mathematical and computational skills
- effective problem solving and creative thinking skills
- information technology skills
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- time-management, organisational skills
- communication skills both written and oral
- self-motivation and self-reliance.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,300per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level : CCC - BBBVIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
35th out of 71 18
Entry standards/ Max 210117 58%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10066.0 66%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.26 85%