Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
This degree offers you the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence before you advance to stage one of your honours degree.
Journalism is featured in the top 20 in The Guardian University Guide 2020 and is rated 2nd for student satisfaction with feedback.
We teach the next generation of talented journalists. This degree gives you all the skills you need to go behind the headlines and build a career as a journalist in the age of the internet.
- Choose our foundation year route if you want to strengthen your knowledge and skills before you progress to stage one of the BA (Hons) Journalism degree
- Gain substantial practical experience of researching and producing powerful print, audio, video and online stories
- Get to grips with the latest techniques and technologies which are transforming journalism in an era of digital news
- Enjoy work placements with media organisations in the UK or overseas
- Hone your skills in our outstanding facilities which include TV and radio studios as well as a fully equipped newsroom
- Take the chance to specialise in a journalistic genre of your choice – from film to fashion, sport to crime, science to politics
- Prepare for a rewarding career in journalism, online or broadcast media production, PR, advertising, corporate communications, law, public administration or politics
- Spend time studying abroad in America or Europe
We've developed this course with your future in mind. New technologies are revolutionising the industry and the ways in which people receive their news. We’ll equip you to be a multi-skilled multimedia professional who can rise to the challenge.
Your Foundation Year provides you with a firm grounding in the skills and knowledge you need and introduces you to the subject of journalism, enabling you to achieve your full honours degree in four years.
In an age of digital news, there has never been a more exciting or challenging time to study journalism. This dynamic course enables you to produce compelling content for both traditional and emerging media platforms.
You'll gain the core journalistic research and writing skills as well as studying media law, ethics and public administration. At the same time, you’ll develop a multi-platform mindset - producing print, radio and TV reports as well as creating blogs and podcasts, digital photos, audio/video stories and content for websites and external devices.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,045per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Derby, Kedleston Road, Derby, Derby, DE22 1GB, England
52nd out of 97 6
Entry standards/ Max 190112 55%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10066 66%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.91 78%