LLM - Master of Laws
Why choose this course?
Passing the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) 1 is the first step in your route to qualifying as a solicitor, and the LLM Professional Legal Practice is designed to prepare you for this.
You should choose the LLM Professional Legal Practice if you want a course that prepares you for SQE1.
- This SQE 1 preparation course provides an opportunity to obtain an internationally recognised Masters qualification that is also eligible for the UK Government postgraduate loan.
- All our SQE preparation courses carry awards and are taught at Masters level.
- This course provides you with everything you need to have the best opportunity to pass SQE whilst also developing the professional skills that really matter to employers.
- You will be taught by our outstanding teaching team, all of whom are experienced legal professionals who will provide you with excellent and personalised teaching in a dynamic and interactive teaching environment.
- Our tutors will work with you to develop your essential legal skills whilst also preparing you for an assessment in which you will draw on your existing substantive legal knowledge and learn how to blend it with procedure to solve practical legal problems.
- You have the opportunity to write a dissertation in an area of interest or choose from electives in bespoke practice areas that will allow you to enhance your employability.
- You can choose to be mentored by a legal professional through our mentoring scheme.
- Opportunities for further practice and test the legal skills you will acquire through mooting, negotiation, interviewing competitions to enhance your CV.
- Opportunity for “hands on” experience to develop professional skills and gain experience in our regulated and multi award winning teaching law firm, the NLS Legal Advice Centre.
- If you start on this course and subsequently decide you want to do a SQE 2 preparation course as well as an SQE 1 preparation course, then you have the option to transfer to the LLM Advanced Professional Legal Practice Course: SQE 1 and SQE 2 Preparation Course with appropriate fee amendments.
What you'll study
You will study the six subject areas which constitute SQE 1’s Functioning Legal Knowledge Assessments, integrating substantive law with procedural law and ethics.
The six subject areas are:
- Principles of Professional Conduct, Public and Administrative law and Solicitors’ Accounts and the Legal Systems of England and Wales;
- Dispute Resolution in Contract and Tort;
- Business Law and Practice;
- Wills and the Administration of Estates and Trusts;
- Criminal Law and Practice;
- Property Practice.
Prior to enrolling on the course, you will receive revision materials containing key principles of law applicable to the practice areas to be studied in this course and to be tested in SQE 1. Whilst there is no face to face teaching of these key principles of law you will be required to test your knowledge and understanding of them throughout the course by undertaking a number of MCQ’s and to build upon this using the resources provided.
As this course is at level 7, the course is designed to build upon the knowledge and understanding of the law and skills that have been gained at undergraduate level. This is achieved through the use of realistic case studies relating to the law and procedure in the context of Dispute Resolution, Property Law and Practice, Business Law and Practice, Criminal Law and Practice and Wills and the Administration of Estates and Trusts.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 8,200per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Nottingham Trent University, 50 Shakespeare Street, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG1 4FQ, England
48th out of 103 2
39th out of 83 3
Entry standards/ Max 231118 54%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10082 82%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.14 83%
Entry standards/ Max 177130 75%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10078 78%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.13 83%