MA - Master of Arts
Bishop Otter Campus
Immerse yourself in debates around the nature and future of literature
Our MA English Literature course allows you to explore your passion to understand the power of literature in shaping our understanding of the world.
This course will appeal to anyone who is thoughtful, intellectually curious, and inquisitive about literature.
You will have the opportunity to engage with a diverse range of genres including fantasy literature, modernism, the historical novel and science fiction as you study texts from the Renaissance through to the Present Day.
You will gain the confidence to develop into an independent researcher in a supportive environment as you meet and learn from experts in the field who are enthusiastic about the study of English literature.
On this course you will:
- Analyse and interrogate literary, critical and theoretical texts.
- Gain the confidence to present your ideas in a convincing and structured way to a range of audiences.
- Discuss and argue in an informed, thoughtful and sensitive way.
- Develop your ability to compare critical approaches and different methodologies.
- Learn from our expert team of published writers and leading academics.
- Develop your independent research skills, including compiling bibliographies, understanding the range of academic tools, and use of the internet or research.
Open up your future career options
Why take an MA?
Our MA English Literature acts as a gateway to PhD research as it provides an opportunity to focus your research, develop your independence in a supportive environment, and refine your research skills.
This course would be ideal for:
- Anyone interested in intellectual development.
- Those wanting to develop their skills, subject knowledge, and confidence in research and the presentation of research.
- Current or prospective teachers in English Literature and related subjects.
- Those looking for careers in research-related fields, from librarianship to arts management.
- For any employment role requiring skills in self-directed analysis, communication and writing, such as editing and publishing.
- Those working or looking to work in any business role requiring abilities in self-managed development and the presentation of ideas.
- Any current student who is keen to enhance their studies further.
Our MA English Literature course aims to transform you into an active and confident researcher in the broad field of English Literature.
Our graduates are highly-valued by employers for their strong problem solving and communication skills and often continue into a wide range of careers.
Career paths include:
- Communications and PR
- Local and national government
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,724per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Chichester, Bishop Otter Campus, College Lane, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 6PE, England
77th out of 100 15
Entry standards/ Max 206109 54%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10060.0 60%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.87 77%