MSc - Master of Science
Goldsmiths, University of London
On this course, you will be working on a once in a lifetime challenge: shaping and pioneering a medium that’s already having a major impact on our society.
Why study MSc Virtual and Augmented Reality at Goldsmiths?
- You'll have the chance to choose between two distinct pathways, depending on your interests. These are the 3D Graphics and User Experience Pathway and the Programming and Computer Science Pathway.
- You’ll be creating virtual and augmented reality that is informed by both the technology and psychology of the medium, so you can create powerful experiences that make the most of its distinctive features.
- This technology is used in a huge variety of industries including medicine, advertising, journalism and mental health therapy. When you graduate you’ll have the skills to work in these industries, as well as in more traditional gaming and film roles.
- We treat virtual reality and augmented reality as interlinking technologies – you’ll be working in both areas and the various types of Mixed Reality that combine the two. You can also learn other areas of computing that can be applied to Virtual and Augmented Reality such as data visualisation, interactive art, games technology, machine learning and AI.
- As well as being taught by leading experts in VR/AR experience, you’ll benefit from our links to an extensive network of VR companies. We regularly welcome them to campus to deliver talks.
- We offer a work placement programme that will help kick start your VR career.
- You’ll have access to a dedicated V&AR lab. The facilities will be updated each year to keep up with technology but they currently include a range of high-end head mounted displays including Oculus Rift, HTC VIVE Pro and Windows MR, each with high end graphics PCs. You’ll also have access to mobile VR set ups (Oculus GO) and a professional motion capture suite which is synchronised with an HTC VIVE for full body immersive experiences.
- Our general computing facilities include the HatchLab, our maker space that can be used for, among other things, fabricating custom VR input or output devices.
This programme will enable you to take on a creative or technical role in Virtual and Augmented Reality, for example a programmer, artist or user experience designer. It would prepare you to be an indie creator, working independently or in small teams or a member of a larger “AAA” team.
The knowledge gained would also help in other roles associated with the V&AR industry such as producer or manager.
Virtual and Augmented Reality is being applied in a very wide range of domains and industries: games, film, medicine, journalism, advertising, education, engineering and many other industries. Your expertise in the medium will open up jobs in this area and many more. Our industry advisory board helps us ensure that the content you learn will stay relevant to the needs of an ever changing workplace.
You may also consider going in to an academic career. This degree will put you in a good position to apply for one of our PhD Studentships, which can lead to PhD study.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 16,120per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Goldsmiths, University of London, New Cross, Lewisham, SE14 6NW, England
54th out of 113 18
Entry standards/ Max 236131 59%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10078.0 78%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.70 74%
MA Virtual and Extended Realities
Bristol, University of the West of England
Computer Science league table55