MPhil - Master of Philosophy
With our main research strengths of aerospace materials, environmental materials and steel technology, Swansea University provides an excellent base for your research as a PhD or MPhil student in Materials Engineering.
To find out more about the world-leading research that we do visit the Materials Research Centre website.
Recent PhD theses supervised in the area of Materials Engineering at Swansea University include:
- Bioinspired investigation via x-ray computed micromography
- Characterisation of Compressor Abradable Systems
- Validation of a high integrity/repair process for aerospace materials
- Constitutive behaviour in turbine disc alloys
- Investigating the dwell crack growth and creep resistance behaviour of next generation nickel disc alloys
- Addressing the scale up challenges of solid state mesoscopic solar cells
- Low cost dye sensitized solar cells on metal substrates
- Role of environment and its effects on high temperature corrosion-fatigue life in nickel based superalloys
If you are a Welsh speaker our dedicated academy, Academi Hywel Teifi, is here to support you throughout your time at Swansea University. We offer you:
- An interview through the medium of Welsh when applying for a place.
- The option to receive your personal correspondence in Welsh - we will then communicate with you in your language of choice.
- The option to write and submit your coursework or exams through the medium of Welsh (even if you have chosen to study in English), and every effort will be made to mark your work in its original language.
- A Welsh-speaking personal tutor.
- One-to-one support to improve your academic Welsh language skills.
Since 2011, there has been a 40% increase in the number of students studying through the medium of Welsh at Swansea University and our TEF* data over the last two years shows that Welsh-medium students are high achievers in regards to employability (*Swansea University TEF return 2017 and 2018).
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 20,150per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, Swansea, SA2 8PP, Wales
10th out of 20 1
Entry standards/ Max 240113 50%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10096 96%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%