We use cookies to ensure the best user experience and to serve tailored advertising. To learn more about our cookies and how to manage them, please visit our cookie policy

Close icon

Personalise what you see on this page.

Choose from the options below. We'll show you information based on your current location as default.


  • United States
Please select so we can show the most relevant content.


  • United States
Please select so we can show the most relevant content.


  • Undergraduate courses
Please select so we can show the most relevant content.
Viewing as a student from United States living in United States interested in Undergraduate courses

Course options

  • Qualification

    PhD/DPhil - Doctor of Philosophy

  • Location

    University Park Campus

  • Study mode

    Full time

  • Start date


  • Duration

    3 years

Course summary

Our PhD programmes in mathematical sciences cover pure and applied mathematics, mathematical physics and statistics, reflecting the diversity, strength and depth of the school's research expertise.

Research overview

Key facts

  • We have a strong commitment to teaching and research of the highest quality. The school sits in the top 10 nationally within mathematical sciences for 'research power' and 'market share'; with 32% of its research recognised as world-leading and a further 56% as internationally excellent (REF 2014).
  • The research environment was classified as 75% world-leading in vitality and sustainability, with the remaining 25% internationally excellent reflecting the outstanding setting the school provides for its academic staff as well as its postdoctoral and postgraduate researchers.
  • The range of research activities in mathematical sciences is extremely broad; from theoretical research in pure mathematics to generic, methodological research in applied mathematics and statistics.

Research areas

We are home to seven research groups within the school, together with Uncertainty Quantification as a particular cross-group focus.

  • Algebra and Analysis
  • Industrial and Applied Mathematics
  • Mathematical Medicine and Biology
  • Mathematical Physics
  • Number Theory and Geometry
  • Scientific Computation
  • Statistics and Probability
  • Uncertainty Quantification

Tuition fees

Students living in United States
(international fees)

£ 19,000per year

Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.

University information

University of Nottingham

  • University League Table


  • Campus address

    University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, England

The university offers a range of scholarships specifically for international applicants studying at any level.
A large number of courses at the university include a placement or work experience element, ensuring that students receive first-hand professional experience.
The university runs a free welcome programme for new international students from outside the EU joining the University of Nottingham in September every year.

Subject rankings

  • Subject ranking

    16th out of 72 1

  • Entry standards

    / Max 236
    173 73%


  • Graduate prospects

    / Max 100
    81 81%


  • Student satisfaction

    / Max 5
    4.05 81%



Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...



Thanks for your feedback!