Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours) - BEng (Hon)
If you've got an interest in engineering and want to lead from the front by designing and building products that are smarter, faster and more efficient, this is the ideal course for you.
On this BEng (Hons) Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degree , you’ll learn the fundamentals of engineering science and design, including Computer-Aided Design (CAD), and specialise in more advanced subjects such as engineering programming and sustainable development.
You'll create your own designs in our manufacturing workshops and have the option to get involved in the University's Formula Student racing team.
After the course, you'll be set to work in engineering and technology in areas such as manufacturing and the armed forces. Or you could start you own specialist company.
This course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), meeting in full the academic requirement for IEng (Incorporated Engineer) and in part the academic requirement for CEng (Chartered Engineer).
This course is currently going through the process of re-accreditation with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Learn about the underlying elements of successful engineering and manufacturing projects, including solid mechanics and dynamics, and electrical and electronic principles
- Specialise in advanced subjects such as Computer-Aided Design (CAD) engineering, sustainable product development and design for quality
- Use our CAD and rapid prototyping suites, energy systems lab, petroleum engineering lab, and metrology and 3D scanning microscopy facilities
- Put your skills to the test by building your own products in our manufacturing workshops
- Have to option to expand your learning and meet potential employers by completing your final-year project in industry
- Get the chance to be involved in Formula Student, where you'll design, construct and test a competitive race car with fellow students.
Careers and opportunities
After the course, you'll be eligible to apply for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status and progress to Chartered Engineer status (CEng) with further study and experience.
There's currently a shortage of talented engineers in the UK and abroad, so there will be many opportunities open to you when you graduate.
What can you do with a Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degree?
Previous graduates have gone on to work in areas including:
- product design
- manufacturing and installation
- project management
- research development
What jobs can you do with a Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- manufacturing engineer
- product design engineer
- aerospace engineer
- application engineer
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 17,600per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
96-112 Tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, inlcuding Mathematics, plus a relevant subject.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
23rd out of 39
44th out of 72 4
Entry standards/ Max 241109 49%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10088 88%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%
Entry standards/ Max 241110 50%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10086 86%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%