Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours) - BEng (Hon)
This degree offers you the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence before you advance to stage one of your honours degree.
Our Mechanical Engineering graduates can look forward to excellent future prospects. We offer high-quality teaching and plenty of practical experience, plus an ideal location in the high-tech city of Derby.
- Gain a head start on the route to becoming a Chartered Engineer: this degree is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) on behalf of the Engineering Council so it partially meets the academic requirement for CEng registration
- Enjoy invaluable professional insights by taking an optional industrial year
- Develop hands-on skills in solving real-world engineering problems
- Challenge yourself with exciting extra-curricular projects such as the IMechE Design Challenge and the British Model Flying Association Payload Challenge
- Broaden your perspectives through industrial visits and guest lectures by leading professionals
- Learn from our expert team of academic staff who have extensive industrial experience of engineering
- Enhance your employability – we are ranked 15th highest among all UK universities and 12th for English institutions, with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree (HESA 2016).
Foundation Year - helping you to achieve more
Including a foundation year as part of your four-year study programme will give you a head start in your academic and professional life. The foundation year offers the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence – with extensive support from our expert staff – before you advance to stage one of your honours degree. It could also be beneficial if you are planning a career change and want to get to grips with aspects of subjects which are new to you.
Our degrees with a foundation year are continuous, meaning that you won’t need to apply again once you have successfully completed the first year.
From computer aided design to structural analysis, vibration and dynamics to thermofluids, the BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering covers a broad spectrum of themes to put your career plans on a firm footing.
The course features a wide range of specialist modules such as Computational Fluid Dynamics, Advanced Material Design and Analysis, and Advanced Thermodynamics.
It also enables you to undertake an individual project which entails real experience of solving an engineering problem in industry. Prospective employers often regard this project as an excellent way to assess the skills of potential future employees.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,045per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
University of Derby, Kedleston Road, Derby, Derby, DE22 1GB, England
60th out of 72 2
Entry standards/ Max 241119 53%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10084 84%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.56 71%