Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Buckinghamshire New University
Do you want to be prepared for professional life within the media industry? Our BA in Media Production covers a variety of disciplines that are necessary for the demands of this industry and equips you with skills for employment in media organisations.
Media organisations are increasingly reliant on higher education to produce graduates who are agile, flexible and resourceful. On this course you will gain the experience and expertise to produce high quality media content in a range of forms and across different platforms, responding to the on-going changes in technology, regulation and societal uses of media.
You will also develop a range of media production techniques that can be used for online and offline media. You will combine theory and practice in recording techniques, photography, journalism, sound design, podcasting, video and screenwriting.
On our course the teaching will feature a variety of approaches and technology, blended together to engage your learning in class and beyond, and to encourage your full participation. The teaching and learning strategies have been designed to ensure that there is progression from formal teaching through to independent learning as you progress through the levels of the programme. Guided independent study will include activities such as reading and research, planning for productions, and self-guided production activity on location.
A variety of assessment vehicles will be used as appropriate to the modules you take, including assignments carried out in your own time, in-class assignments, workshops and presentations. Assessments will be appropriate to the task, achievable, motivating and vocationally focussed, forming a constructive part of your learning process.
Assessment approaches include:
- Group and individual portfolios of written work and media content that will include research, pre-production, production and post-production work submissions
- Critical self-evaluation and role analysis in the form of individual reflective written evaluations
- Peer evaluation in the form of discussion of work in groups
- Opportunity for external placement and work-based learning reports that will enhance each student’s capacity to adopt professional working practices
- Tasks aimed at the assessment of specific production skills which will target each individual’s career aspirations
- Independent work at the culmination of the degree comprising a short media production.
Whilst studying with us you will create Film & TV content in our industry-standard studios where we use professional Panasonic and Canon cameras. Furthermore, in our private and communal editing suites, you will get the chance to become skilled with all our post-production software including:
- Final Cut Pro X
- Avid Media Composer
- Adobe Creative Cloud.
You will also learn in our state-of-the-art recording studios, from individual edit rooms up to large Pro Tools HD studios with attached live rooms and vocal booths.
- Studios 1 and 2 boast Avid D-Command control surfaces and 24 channels of Focusrite ISA828 microphone preamps
- Studios three and four (Edit 6) are based around Digidesign C|24 surfaces
- The edit booths are equipped with microphone preamps from Digidesign (HD Omni).
- Our microphone stock includes Sennheiser, Neumann, AKG, Shure, Rode and Electrovoice
- Studio monitoring includes 5.1 systems by Genelec and stereo systems by KRK
- All studios feature a full range of plug-ins including RX3, Ozone6, Komplete and Speakerphone.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 12,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Buckinghamshire New University, Queen Alexandra Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 2JZ, England
98th out of 102
Entry standards/ Max 196113 59%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10039 39%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.97 79%
Visual Effects and Motion Graphics BSc (Hons)
Brunel University London
University league table
Live Visual Design and Production BA (Hons)
University of Bolton
Drama, Dance & Cinematics league table91