Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Main Site (Aberystwyth)
Microbiologists study bacteria, fungi, and viruses, and their role in infectious diseases in humans, other animals and plants. You will also learn how microorganisms contribute to environmental nutrient cycling, brewing, food, and biotechnology industries, whilst you develop the scientific and analytical skills demanded in a broad range of professions.
Here’s why we think Aberystwyth is a great place to study microbiology:
- Passionate teaching staff that conduct research in all areas of microbiology;
- Fantastic bio-imaging and microscopy suite, modern laboratories and fermentation facilities;
- Farms and woodlands for studying environmental microbes and those that impact on animal health.
Why study Microbiology at Aberystwyth University?
- Taught by enthusiastic teaching staff who are experts in their field. You may have seen some of them on TV documentaries, or listened to them on your favourite science radio show.
Fantastic facilities which include:
- An advanced microscopy and bio-imaging laboratory;
- Fermentation facilities from lab scale to pilot plant;
- Translational Genomics Laboratory;
- Extreme Experimental Environments Laboratory;
- Learn in a world renowned teaching and research institute;
- International Opportunities are available through work and study placements.
What are our graduates doing?
Our graduates have been successful in the following fields:
- Research Science;
- Clinical Molecular Genetics;
- Nature Conservation;
Students from our department have also progressed to undertake training in Dentistry and Medicine.
What skills will I develop from studying BSc Microbiology?
Employability is embedded in our teaching. Our students leave Aberystwyth University with skills including:
- research and data analysis skills;
- enhanced mathematical and computational skills;
- effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills;
- a thorough grounding in information technology skills;
- the ability to work independently;
- time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines;
- the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form;
- self-motivation and self-reliance;
- team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching an agreement.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,800per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
A level : BCC - BBB
To include B in A-level Biology.VIEW MORE
University League Table
Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom, SY23 3FL, Wales
37th out of 103 8
Entry standards/ Max 240119 52%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10076 76%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.31 86%