Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
Do you have an interest in languages and the desire to develop your linguistic skills to a professional level? Do you want to spend a year abroad, learning more about the culture and languages of another country?
This BA (Hons) Modern Languages degree immerses you in 1-3 languages of your choice, while imparting the cultural knowledge and vocational skills that will make you a sought after professional in multiple countries.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- study 1 language from French, German or Spanish
- study 2 languages from French, German, Spanish, Italian (beginners level only) or Mandarin (beginners level only)
To study 2 languages, you'll need to have taken French, German or Spanish at A level and continue studying your A level language.
You can also:
- Use our professional-grade conference interpreting suite and language labs, where you can manipulate video, sound, text and Internet sources
- Immerse yourself in the cultures of the countries where your chosen languages are spoken – in the classroom and on your work or study placement abroad in year 3
- Test your language skills in simulations, scenario exercises, television broadcasts and debates
- Fast-track to a teaching career with an optional Initial Teacher Training pathway, which includes a £9,000 bursary Qualified Teacher Status on completion of the final year of your degree
Whether you’re experienced in speaking multiple languages or need to learn your chosen language from scratch, we’ll take your enthusiasm and mould you into a confident linguistic expert.
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our careers and employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
What can you do with a Modern Languages degree?
With language skills continuing to be in high demand in many industries, previous students have gone on to work in fields such as:
- translation and interpreting
- journalism and the media
- international management
What jobs can you do with a Modern Languages degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- bilingual consultant
- multilingual project coordinator translator
- tourist guide
- market analyst
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio. We'll also be available to help, advise and support you for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
If you combine your degree with teacher training, you'll do teaching placements as part of your course.
This course allows you to take the Learning From Experience (LiFE) option. This means you can earn credits towards your degree for work, volunteer and research placements that you do alongside your study.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 15,500per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- UCAS Points
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level :
104-120 Tariff points to include a minimum of 2 A levels. Students wishing to take two languages require a Modern Foreign Language (French, German, Spanish) at grade C.VIEW MORE
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
39th out of 49 2
32nd out of 36 3
37th out of 48 2
Entry standards/ Max 226103 47%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10076 76%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.25 85%
Entry standards/ Max 226103 51%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10075 75%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.26 85%
Entry standards/ Max 226103 49%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10074 74%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.16 83%