MRes - Master of Research
Harper Adams University
On a national and international scale there is an increasing need to reconcile the need for increased food production with the need for conservation of natural resources. There is also a need for people to understand and deal with complex land situations such as within agricultural systems.
This course is intended to provide students with a detailed understanding of basic and applied agro-ecology and the issues associated with, on the one hand, the increased and shifting needs for food production and on the other the need for conservation and management of natural resources. Sustainable food production and sustainable intensification are of high policy importance both nationally and internationally. Agro-ecology is a key aspect of sustainable intensification.
This course is underpinned by an extensive programme of agri-environment research at Harper Adams and long-standing collaborations with research institutes and other organisations in the UK and overseas. The course will utilise our teaching strengths and offer an alternative focus for students with an interest in both agriculture and the natural environment, and will complement other specialist postgraduate courses such as the Entomology courses, Integrated Pest Management, and Weed Science.
Specifically the course will enable students to:
- Identify the nature, structure and complexities of multifunctional landscapes.
- Evaluate the interactions between organisms and consider these when making management recommendations for successful agro-ecological landscapes
- Evaluate the strategic and operational issues and conflicts affecting the sustainable management of agricultural ecosystems.
- Appraise the role of agro-ecology within the wider context of global food security and sustainable food production
- Select the most appropriate conservation management solution in a range of agricultural and other environments.
- Develop the ability to solve conflicts in agro-ecosytems by the application of novel research techniques
How will it benefit me?
An understanding of agro-ecology and the organisms and systems that underpin agricultural systems can facilitate the ability to manage agricultural systems in a more sustainable manner.
This course will provide the foundation for a career in both conservation and in agriculture.
The course will provide you with specialized training in agroecology and farmland conservation. Specifically, the course which will:
- prepare you for a career in conservation agriculture, or agriculture or conservation more widely.
- offer vocational training in the area of agroecology.
- prepare you for PhD. studies.
- enable you to make a more informed choices for further study and career development.
The type of jobs that require the skills that you will gain include:
- Conventional, organic and integrated agriculture positions
- Advisory work such as farm/crop consulting
- Policy jobs such as in agriculture and environmental agencies
- Non-governmental agencies and organizations
- Agricultural firms
- Extension advisors
- Conservation organizations
- Environmental consultants
- Policy Analysts
- Natural Resources Manager
- Scientists and researchers.
Final award: MSc
Intermediate awards: PgC, PgD
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,100per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Harper Adams University, Edgmond, Newport, Shropshire, TF10 8NB, England
10th out of 19
Entry standards/ Max 155123 85%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10065.0 65%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.14 83%