MSc - Master of Science
This MSc equips graduates of engineering and science degrees with the skills they need to join the rapidly growing offshore renewable energy industry, incorporating offshore wind, wave and tidal energy. You’ll learn how the disciplines of meteorology, aerodynamics, mechanical, control, electrical, structural and offshore engineering are utilised in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver a cost-effective offshore power station.
Supervised and supported by members of the School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics, you will also have the opportunity to undertake a substantial research project focused on an aspect of offshore renewable energy.
- Be at the forefront of the rapidly growing field of offshore renewable energy at a time when such expertise is increasingly sought after.
- Develop knowledge and confidence in the processes involved in the design, development, installation, operation and decommissioning of a cost-effective offshore power station.
- Develop an understanding of the factors that affect the Levelized Cost of Energy delivered by an offshore power station.
- Develop familiarity with industry standard software used in design.
- Study at the University named eighth in the world – and best in the UK for the quality and impact of its research in Marine and Ocean Engineering in the Shanghai Ranking Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019.
- Benefit from our research team’s expertise – our staff achieved ratings of ‘world leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’ in the UK Government’s most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
- Take advantage of the University of Plymouth’s leadership role in the Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy Hub.
- Gain experience in the use of world leading facilities such as the COAST Lab test tanks as part of your taught programme and your research.
- Live and study in ‘Britain’s Ocean City’, with easy access to businesses and the marine environment, this is an ideal location to study offshore renewables.
Engineers are involved in all stages of the offshore renewable energy industry; from proof of concept of new energy converter concepts through to the operation, maintenance and eventual decommissioning of offshore power stations supplying clean renewable energy around the world. This programme aims to give you a step-up into this industry. Graduates will be ready to hit the ground running with project developers, engineering and design consultancies, certification agencies and marine contractors.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 16,200per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Plymouth University, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, England
44th out of 71 4
40th out of 71 2
42nd out of 74 3
Entry standards/ Max 241106 46%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10090.0 90%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.79 76%
Entry standards/ Max 210111 55%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10072.0 72%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.17 83%
Entry standards/ Max 241119 52%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10080.0 80%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.92 78%