Bachelor of Nursing (with Honours) - BN (Hons)
Developed and delivered in partnership with local healthcare providers, this practical BN (Hons) Nursing (Adult) degree prepares you for a career as an adult nurse in primary or secondary care.
You'll develop practical skills in safe, simulated teaching environments and apply your skills under supervision from experienced professionals on work placements with our network of healthcare providers.
At the end of the course, you'll be eligible to apply for part 1 (Adult) of the professional Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) register. This allows you to work as a nurse in the UK.
This course has been approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), meaning the course meets the standards of education, training, conduct and performance required for nurses in the UK.
For pre-registration nursing, the Nursing and Midwifery Council (2018, Part 1: Standards Framework for nursing and midwifery education, 5.12, page 12) state that there is no compensation between theory and practice learning.
This course will prepare graduates to be eligible to apply for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). It's your responsibility to seek registration with the NMC, on completion of your course. This registration must be sought within 5 years of successful completion of your course.
This course is also accredited by the Association of Simulated Practice in Healthcare. The University of Portsmouth is the first institution in the country to receive this accreditation.
This course is also endorsed by Skills for Care, which is an indicator of quality for learning and development in the adult social care sector.
What you'll experience
On this course you’ll:
- Learn the skills and knowledge you’ll need to thrive as a nurse
- Develop practical skills in our safe, simulated teaching environments, then apply your skills on work placement
- Develop critical thinking, resilience and leadership skills
- Use medical manikins and simulated patients within our Centre for Simulation in Health and Care to build the skills and confidence that you’ll rely on in your career
- Learn to confidently examine, assess, and treat patients in community and hospital settings
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, you'll be eligible to apply for registration on part 1 (Adult) of the professional Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) register, which allows you to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK. If you want to work as a nurse abroad, you may also need to register with an overseas nursing body.
What can you do with an adult nursing degree?
Graduates could go on to work in:
- Nursing roles in primary or secondary care in the UK and overseas
- Charity and aid work
- Advanced practice nurse specialism
- Nurse education and mentoring
- Healthcare management in ward sister or lead nurse roles
What jobs can you do with an adult nursing degree?
Job roles graduates could go on to include:
- Community nurse
- Critical care nurse
- Palliative care nurse specialist
- Practice nursing
- Care home manager
- Resuscitation training officer
After you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Work experience and career planning
You'll spend a large amount of your time during this course on clinical placements with partner Trusts in local community and hospital environments.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Access to HE Diploma
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
A level : BBB
120 points to include 2 A levels, or equivalent, with 32 points from a Science or Social Science subject.VIEW MORE
Do you need to know more?
Ask a question directly and subscribe to this universityREQUEST INFO
University League Table
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2UP, England
10th out of 77 2
Entry standards/ Max 201139 67%
Graduate prospects/ Max 100n/a
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.97 79%