Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
Singleton Park Campus
Mental health nurses play a vital role in supporting people of all ages and backgrounds at some of the most difficult and challenging times of their lives.
Our three-year degree course in Mental Health Nursing will give you the theoretical and practical knowledge you need to provide high quality, compassionate nursing care for improving mental health and well being. During the course you will improve the care and treatment of people using mental health services their carers and their families.
You will develop keen interpersonal and communication skills to prepare you for working as part of a team that includes psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, community workers and occupational therapists.
Half of your teaching takes place in the university on our Singleton Park campus and the other half in healthcare settings. We have excellent links with Welsh health boards and many healthcare providers, so you will have access to a wide range of clinical experiences across south west Wales.
These could include community health care centres, hospitals and specialist areas in forensic, child and adolescent, drug and alcohol and older persons nursing.
MENTAL HEALTH NURSING CAREERS
On graduation, you will be eligible to apply for Registered Nurse (Mental Health) status with the Nursing and Midwifery Council and to register as a nurse for work in EU and EEA.
As your career develops you may choose to specialise in areas such as elderly care, crisis intervention or substance misuse. You could also become involved in education, research, or management roles.
Professional Body Accreditation
Accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
Choose a qualification
- A level
- Access to HE Diploma
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
A level : BBB
Health or science-related courses desirable.VIEW MORE
University League Table
Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, Swansea, SA2 8PP, Wales
28th out of 72 2
16th out of 83 3
Entry standards/ Max 201138 70%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10098 98%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%
Entry standards/ Max 177134 77%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10090 90%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.92 78%