PGCE - Postgraduate Certificate of Education
- Train to teach age 11-16 PE, with post-16 enhancement.
- Attain a masters-level PGCE, or PCE, alongside your Qualified Teacher Status.
- Gain vital hands-on experience of the school environment with 120 days' placement work.
- Attain a deeper understanding of physical education, and train to impart your knowledge effectively.
- Learn in a supportive vocational environment, with wide-ranging teaching methods.
This course allows you to excel academically, and impart your expertise and enthusiasm for PE to the next generation. You'll benefit from extensive field experience and gain a solid theoretical grounding. Upon graduation, you'll be fully equipped for a rewarding teaching career.
How you learn
The vocational nature of this course allows for the real-world experience needed for effective teaching, and you'll gain academic credentials to reinforce it. You can gain a MA-level PGCE, or a PCE, both of which entail full Qualified Teacher Status.
In order to gain these advanced qualifications, you'll spend 120 days across at least two schools, with close academic support and mentoring throughout, and benefit from wide-ranging teaching methods on-campus.
You learn through
- 120 days of school-based training across at least two settings
- collaborative planning
- one-to-one sessions
- group work
- practical work
- independent study
- written assessments
This course prepares you for a career in
- teaching Key Stage 3 and 4 physical education
- academic careers as researcher via Masters level study and PhD
- local authority/voluntary sector work or research
- non-government organisation (NGO) administrative and research posts
- enrichment work with young people
- more general graduate careers including, for example, retail management and the civil service
Many of our students go on into full-time positions at their placement schools. The course is vocational in nature, and our graduate employment rate is usually well in excess of 90%.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
£ 14,460per year
Tuition fees shown are for indicative purposes and may vary. Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Sheffield Hallam University, City Campus, Howard Street, Sheffield, Sheffield, S1 1WB, England
37th out of 84 7
45th out of 85 2
Entry standards/ Max 201124 60%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10070.0 70%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.93 79%
Entry standards/ Max 203123 56%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10066.0 66%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.17 83%