- Attain a recorded professional award as a specialist practitioner of health visiting or student nursing.
- Undertake assessments to have your qualification recorded with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Identify and meet the needs of children and families as a health visitor or student nurse.
- Build on your existing knowledge as a registered professional nurse.
- Learn practical and theoretical skills to excel as a valuable and respected community health specialist.
This course is aimed at post-registration nurses or midwives who wish to become specialist practitioners. You'll develop your professional nursing practice and become a registered health vistor or student nurse.
How you learn
In this course, you'll study to attain valuable credentials as a specialist practitioner, either as a health visitor or student nurse. You can also complete the assessments for the prescribing from the community practitioner formulary to become a nurse prescriber. The course is 50% practice and 50% theory. You'll work under the close supervision of the SCPHN teaching team in each instance, who utilise dynamic approaches to teaching practice.
You learn through
- lectures, seminars and workshops
- simulated role plays
- case studies
- client stories
- conducting real consultations under exam conditions
- producing written records of consultations
Completing the course enables you to be registered with the NMC as a registered specialist community public health nurse - as either a health visitor or school nurse. It also enables you to be annotated on the NMC register as a community practitioner nurse prescriber.
This course prepares you for a career in
- A specialist role - working with early interventions, homeless, asylum seekers, safeguarding, looked after children (LAC), domestic violence (DV), child sexual exploitation (CSE)
- Practice education – community practice educator, mentor
- Family nurse partnership nursing (FNP)
- Sexual health advice
- Management opportunities
- Overseas with the voluntary overseas service
This course is approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Sheffield Hallam University, City Campus, Howard Street, Sheffield, Sheffield, S1 1WB, England
36th out of 84 8
44th out of 77 4
Entry standards/ Max 201124 60%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10070 70%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.93 79%
Entry standards/ Max 201123 59%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10098 98%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.97 79%