Through this programme you’ll learn core competences for surgical care practitioners, with a focus on cardiothoracic surgery. You’ll gain the necessary skills to assist with complex surgical procedures and provide high quality patient care. Secure the experience you need to excel in unpredictable and highly pressurised clinical environments.
- Develop professional experience and specialist knowledge, through our blend of academic and practical teaching, delivered by a team involved in the education and practice development of the Surgical Care Practitioner role at national level for over 15 years.
- Benefit from eight weeks of taught theory and 28 weeks of direct clinical practice (per year).
- Expand your skills to undertake complex surgical procedures, manage patients intra-operatively and be responsible for pre-operative and post-operative outpatient clinics.
- Benefit from a combination of academic, theoretical and practical teaching, giving you the necessary clinical skills to meet national industry standards. We have strong links with existing practitioners, and visiting lecturers include current practising qualified Surgical Care Practitioners and Consultant Surgeons.
- Consider innovative approaches to care delivery and enhance the surgical patient experience.
- Cultivate a precise and meticulous work ethic, delivering an effective, safe and efficient service to patients.
- Work both autonomously and as part of a multi-profession team.
- Secure the experience you need to excel in unpredictable and highly pressurised clinical environments.
- Use your initiative to solve complex problems and deliver high quality patient care. Past students have enabled new service provision, such as satellite clinics for pre and/or postoperative assessment, and student initiated audits have generated new processes and cost savings for employing organisations.
- Royal College of Surgeons accredited programme.
You’ll develop further specialist knowledge and skills, enabling greater participation and leadership in surgical patient care. You'll also learn the principles of data collection and analysis, demonstrating clinical reasoning and judgement. Assessment in practice is ongoing throughout the programme with specified competencies to be achieved within operating theatres, clinics and ward areas. Assessment in theory is patient and service focused to enable development of condition/patient specific knowledge as well as service enhancement.
- United States
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cabo Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Korea DPR (North Korea)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St Vincent
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Western Samoa
Information not available
Please check with the institution for most up to date details.
University League Table
Plymouth University, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, England
27th out of 35 1
28th out of 77 2
17th out of 79 12
Entry standards/ Max 239165 68%
Graduate prospects/ Max 100100.0 100%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.00 80%
Entry standards/ Max 201146 70%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10097.0 97%
Student satisfaction/ Max 54.03 81%
Entry standards/ Max 177141 82%
Graduate prospects/ Max 10085.0 85%
Student satisfaction/ Max 53.95 79%